Buying from France / Germany / Italy etc?

Name
Stewart
Edit My Images
Yes
Just a mad idea ..... Does anybody out there know anything about the markets in other major European countries? Who are the equivalents of Warehouse Express, Park Cameras, Jacobs, Jessops, etc? How competitive are the prices?

The reason I ask is that I'm looking to spend serious amounts of money on lenses this year and in the current climate I'm looking for any price advantage I can get. A shopping trip to Europe could easily pay for itself if the prices there are anything like last month's UK prices, as opposed to this month's UK prices!

Why do I think it might be worth pursuing? Two reasons.

Firstly the markets might be quite different. For example, last Christmas I wanted to buy my wife a Wii Fit. In the UK they were incredibly rare, and the stores that did have them were charging £120-£140. But in France they were super-abundant, and Amazon France had them for 86 euros.

Secondly, the huge price hikes we've seen lately have been caused by stirlings's fall relative to the yen, and by the retailers' responses to sudden increases in import prices. The euro hasn't fallen as much as sterling relative to the yen, so there might be scope for the euro retailers to absorb some of that. Here's a simplistic example:
* UK: import prices go up 20% => retailers panic and prices go up 20%
* Europe: import prices go up 10% => retailers don't panic and prices go up <10%
So in this example, even taking account of the fact that the euro has gone up 10% relative to the pound, it would still be cheaper to buy in Europe.

So ..... can anybody help?

Spending a lot of time working in euro country, I can say that the UK is the cheapest place to buy stuff. :)

The retail prices have increased here as well (canon/nikon) etc.

Have a look at ebay.de and compare buy it now prices with the UK, you will see you have the best prices on your doorstep ;)

I would presume StewartR is VAT registered. If he bought from Europe from a VAT registered trader he would pay UK vat at 15% rather than continental VAT which could be anythning up to 25%.

A few years ago it was popular to order a car from Europe to take advantage of cheaper pricing. Two of the main countries to do this from were Holland and Denmark because both had high taxes on these products and to maintain a level sales price around Europe the pre-tax price was seemingly low. A UK buyer could avoid these local taxes and just pay UK VAT.

You still have the exchange rate that sucks, but at least its heading slowly upwards to somewhere better than 1:1

I would presume StewartR is VAT registered. If he bought from Europe from a VAT registered trader he would pay UK vat at 15% rather than continental VAT which could be anythning up to 25%.
if he's VAT registered he would just reclaim it anyway so it's kind of moot ...

Apart form VAT is there duty also to be applied to lenses?

No duty to pay inside EU, but to be honest You'd be hard put to find cheaper than the UK for photo gear. I can only speak of my experience in France, but there are no "big" photo chains here, you could have a look at http://www.missnumerique.com/ here they the biggest (that I've found) internet shop. I don't think you'll find prices to compete, certainly not with the £ / € rate as it is.

Tara

if he's VAT registered he would just reclaim it anyway so it's kind of moot ...

Yes but if things are listed at similar retail prices that vat reclaim difference could equate to a 10% discount.

but they won't be ...
& if they were even if you assume the highest in Europe 25% VAT rate as opposed to our current 15% it would still only equate to an 8% discount at pre-VAT prices.
For somewhere like Germany with 19% it would be under 3.5%.

& then you have &#8364;/£ exchange rates & potential transaction charges ...

Last edited:
In my experience France is very expensive for most things electrical, certainly compared with Germany where I'm based.

Try Mediamarkt or Saturn.

It used to be the case that what we'd pay in €, you'd pay in GBP, which made Germany MUCH cheaper. However with the GBP/€ exchange rate now, I suspect the prices'll be very similar.

Back