Buying in Hong Kong, rather than from Hong Kong

Name
Andrew
Edit My Images
Yes
Sorry if covered before, I've searched but only found the many 'from HK' threads.

I travel to HK or through it relatively often and when stuck for something to do I join the thousands looking in the hundreds of camera shops down Nathan Road in Kowloon. Has anyone actually bought equipment from one of these stores? And what were your experiences... good or bad?

Considering body and lenses, so a big saving to be had.

Thanks

I was there in Feb, the guys knows their stuff, the prices is practically identicle to the ebay price minus P&P and the shops a PACKED !

If you do, consider flat packing the boxes and mailing them home.

If you do, consider flat packing the boxes and mailing them home.

LOL, yes that's almost exactly what I was thinking. Although the flattened boxes would be in a colleague's baggage.

Would be interested to know if anyone has done this, and which shop(s) they actually bought from, although they are extremely keen for your business, to the extent of cutting the price as you leave, so I suspect any will give you a best price to stop you going next door, or next door, or next door :bonk:

I was there in Feb, the guys knows their stuff, the prices is practically identicle to the ebay price minus P&P and the shops a PACKED !

Yes, I'm just never completely sure that they aren't often refurbs boxed and sealed as new... I wonder if you could check serial numbers before actually parting with the cash?

Yes, I'm just never completely sure that they aren't often refurbs boxed and sealed as new... I wonder if you could check serial numbers before actually parting with the cash?

I'm not sure that there would be enough refurb stock available for these guys they have a huge rate of turnover.

You can see it before you buy it, its like Jessops really.

True, but Jessops have UK levels of tax, VAT, rent and rates just as a starting point, if they paid the same costs as the HK people then their prices would be a lot lower!

I bought an Ixus 75 in January when we on our honeymoon in HK. I didn't bother with Nathan Rd though, it all looked a bit too good to be true to me, and the salespeople were too pushy, so I ended buying a camera, Manfrotto tripod head, and rocket blower from Citicall on HK island (near Central if I remember correctly). I reckon I saved about £43 quid on the equivelent prices in the UK, including the likes of amazon.

Unfortunately, I'd just bought a 400D, so a new SLR or lens were out of the question!!

I bought an Ixus 75 in January when we on our honeymoon in HK. I didn't bother with Nathan Rd though, it all looked a bit too good to be true to me, and the salespeople were too pushy, so I ended buying a camera, Manfrotto tripod head, and rocket blower from Citicall on HK island (near Central if I remember correctly). I reckon I saved about £43 quid on the equivelent prices in the UK, including the likes of amazon.

Unfortunately, I'd just bought a 400D, so a new SLR or lens were out of the question!!

Yes the Nathan Road shops are very much the back street car dealers of the camera shop world. I think I've made my mind up to buy good second hand from UK or duty free at the airport if I can. I think for accessories, tridops, bags etc I'm more than happy to haggle for, but the expence of a DSLR body or decent glass is another matter.

Back