Buying my first DSLR

Name
Oliver Todd
Edit My Images
Yes
Ok. I'm new here. So far I've been shooting with a simple Bridge camera. I have a basic knowledge relating to the effects of aperture, shutter speed, iso sensitivity, etc. I generally shoot outdoor sports and indoor concerts, but would like to experiment with a few other things. Budget of around £800 ideally including a couple of half decent lenses and whatever else I could throw in there. Recommendations please...

so this page is dynamic generated (or whatever its called in English ;) ) and thats why it doesnt work for others...

in da case I'm :coat:

You need to go somewhere where you can get a feel of different makes bodiers.

It's important that you are comfortable both the size and layout as all cameras can take good photographs, but it is you that makes a good photograph great.

If you weant some good lenses consider buying 2nd hand in order to achieve what you need.

Thanks.
And for something like Football?

I usually find a spherical leather object and 22 players works best for football :naughty:

If you mean lens-wise, then something around 300mm or larger with an f/2.8 constant aperture, which will run you about £3000 and up....

Lens choice depends on which body/system you choose and, of course, how much cash you have left to buy it once you've bought the body.....

Thanks.
And for something like Football?

Big F.O. fast lens - yup 300mm at least and its often low light so f/2.8 or, maybe you'll get away with an f/4. But you're talking big bucks for that either way.

Sorry, my original reply was a bit laconic - but no less valid for that - you'll get good gig results with a 50mm f/1.8 assuming you have decent access -its a fast and sharp lens and is excellent value for money.

But for sports - whether it be football, motor racing or darts, then you will quickly find that you need to up your budget to get a lens that will do the job. Maybe have a look at the Sigma 50 - 500mm - I've never used one and I've no real idea what its like, but there are those around here who rate it as a decent lens for the money. It may fit your needs for sports stuff.

And, if the budget is starting to look a little tight, don't be afraid to buy 2nd hand - both body (maybe a 30D) and lenses - there are some good deals to be had out there.

If you mean lens-wise, then something around 300mm or larger with an f/2.8 constant aperture, which will run you about £3000 and up....

Doesn't have to cost £3,000, I bought a Sigma 120-300mm F/2.8, 1.4x and 2x Teleconvertors off here for £800

I'd go for a secondhand D200 for about £400ish a 50mm F/1.8 and a high interest savings account for a few months until you have enough for a sigma 120-300mm

But for sports - whether it be football, motor racing or darts, then you will quickly find that you need to up your budget to get a lens that will do the job.

How hard can it be to stop the action when the players are all 25 stone and drunk? :LOL:

078fordham2_468x469.jpg

How hard can it be to stop the action when the players are all 25 stone and drunk? :LOL:

Ha ha - I knew I was asking for trouble mentioning darts ;)

Andy Fordham was on the radio recently - he's very much cleaned up his act - no more beer and he's lost a lot of weight.

Anyway back on topic ....

I usually find a spherical leather object and 22 players works best for football :naughty:

Well you certainly live up to your avatar!

So, general consensus is that in an ideal world, I'll want a 50mm F/1.8 lens, and something up to 300mm, ideally F/2.8. I was looking at the Nikon D300. Any idea as to whether that's in line for a price drop by say Christmas?

Thanks for all your comments so far. Think I'd be lost without them!

Back