Buying the Right Filter

Edit My Images
No
I'm new to Photography so if the question sounds like one you have all heard before, forgive me :p
I've recently bought a Nikon D90 kit with an 18mm to 105mm lens and have the 50mm f1.8D AF lens lined up for a second lens. Just confused about the amount of filters available, I obviously want to protect the new lens and this is my primary concern over getting any kind of effect from the filter.

I will be doing indoor and outdoor photography in different surroundings.

Can anyone recommend a good general purpose filter that's not too expensive? Having bought everything so close together, cash is kind of getting tight.

The best price I could find for the Nikon 50mm f1.8D AF lens is £99 all in including postage, does that seem like a good price?

Many Thanks in advance

Go for a hoya UV filter, the most expensive version you can justify. It's not the top spec like B&W filters but for the sake of protecting the lens it's more than adequate.

£99 seems very reasonable with the recent price increases. Most of the places i've seen that lens have been asking well over £100 for it.

Sticking any fiter infront of your lens will degrade image quality. This considered it's a personal choice if you want to use one or not, many people just say to use a lens hood as this will over some protection from the elements and from an impact.

Personally I use hoods as they help to reduce stray light on the lens as well as offer a limited amount of protection

Back