c/c please

photomad

Suspended / Banned
Edit My Images
Yes
be honest
a2.jpg

If i'm honest, it lacks a 'Focal-Point'. If ther was just one that was in focus, or maybe against a less 'busy' background it would be better.

:)

I think I agree with Chilli about the first two. But have you considered flipping the first shot by 90 degrees CW? It looks a bit strange going sideways and might be improved by this :)

The last one definately has potential though - maybe a tighter crop and some contrast increase in photoshop would improve it?

It looks like you were using all the right settings. Aperture priority is what I take nearly all my flower and birdy pics with - the trick is to find out how best to fill the frame. I'm not sure what the S5000's minimum focusing distance is, but when I'm shooting flowers I try to get about 1 metre away from the subject, put the camera on full zoom and put Macro mode on (again, not sure if the s5000 has this?). Then if it focuses correctly I move a step closer and so on until it stops being able to focus - and then I move back one step.

Also - the longer the focal length the shallower DOF you'll get (Someone correct me if I'm wrong please!) which is good for blurry backgrounds.

Sorry that was a bit long :LOL:

And I almost forgot - did you get any birdies?

thanx ewan

ihad the right settings dause you told me what to do ha ha

will take your advice on rest yes i have macro so i will be out again soon

birds?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

i could hear them all around taunting me but didnt see one of the furry little things

BUT

i know why my son ws having a whale of a time jumping in all the puddles and mud scaring them away!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (y) (y)

thanks for setting advice im on to it

1. I find there is no point of intrest (focal point) nothing draws you into the image, saying that its nicely exposed.

2. Too dark around where the water is, colours are a bit washed out needs a bit of saturation but not too much, and there doesn't seem to be a a point of intrest a longer exposure would have given the water a silky feel to it.

3. Nice image and exposure of the white flower with good detail in flower and water, a bit of selective sharpen on the flower / water droplets to just bring it out a bit more , maybe a tighter crop and less DOF would have added to the impact of the image.

just my 2 p worth.

1. I find there is no point of intrest (focal point) nothing drays you into the image, saying that its nicely exposed.

2. Too dark around where the water is, colours are a bit washed out needs a bit of saturation but not too much, and there doesn't seem to be a a point of intrest a longer exposure would have given the water a silky feel to it.

3. Nice image and exposure of the white flower with good detail in flower and water, a bit of selective sharpen on the flower / water droplets to just bring it out a bit more , maybe a tighter crop and less DOF would have added to the impact of the image.

just my 2 p worth.

:agree: , but 2 just doesn't work for me at all. I'm not sure what you're trying to portray here. What was your point of interest?

3rd is far and away the best of the three, but you need to move yourself around so check the best angle. You've allowed a leaf to take focus from the flower. Getting lower or to the side would have meant nothing intruding. If the offending object is subbornly in the way no matter what the angle, coax it out of the way. :)

point of interest??

been on the landscape forum and all i see is landscape

nothing else nice colours sometimes but basically just landscapes

im confused i just dont get landscapes

maybe they are not for me ha ha

also, i think number 1 is best and number three is ordinary?

number one good colour

number 3 lokks washed out

am i missing something

Number 1 is spoiled by the unusual aspect. You expect to see this a a vertical rather than horizontal. I appreciate you've photographed the subject as it appeared, but a 90 degree rotation may help. To be brutally honest its a 'nothing' shot. Likewise number two - there are three elements which have n harmony: washed out colour in the OOF foliage foreground, nicey exposed leaves on the tree; then what appears to be waterfall in the background (which is underexposed).

The 3rd isn't washed out - those are the colours you had to work with. The leaf spoils it slightly but its still a good shot.

I dont think you're missing anything, i just think your favourite is colouring your judgement :shrug:

Thats where Photoshop comes in, in tweeking your image to get the best out of it (1 may look the best colour wise out of the camera, but the photo composition isnt as good as 3 and 3 has the subject matter).

If you like i will give it a bit of a tweek in photoshop to show what i mean. if thats ok with you.

Also - the longer the focal length the shallower DOF you'll get (Someone correct me if I'm wrong please!) which is good for blurry backgrounds.

Almost right (and to some degree correct). The DOF is dictated by aperture rather than focal length. I think you refer to the telephotos fore-shortening a view by 'comressing' it?

number one good colour

number 3 lokks washed out

am i missing something

You're missing quite a lot actually. Number 3 is well over-saturated are you sure your monitor is set up properly?

When you're taking a shot of a flower - take a shot of the flower and not half the countryside around it - it's not as though all that background adds anything to the shot at all.

I've corrected the colour balance in No3 and cropped to concentrate the interest where it needs to be- on the flower itself and those water droplets, but this would be a lot better done from your original file than from this very lo res web image.

photomad1.jpg

Learn to have a good look around the viewfinder before you press that button - that distracting overhanging leaf was there when you took the shot. ;)

ah i see take a pic of the flower and not the stuff around it

all is clear

try again next week cheers guys

Think its been said,but

1 there's no central image, its some flowers on a twig
2 there is no image, much too messy, no focal point
3 needs a zoom and losing the green branchy thing

Back