C1, C2 & C3

Name
Janice
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi folks.

I was wondering what you all have put in your custom bits on your cameras.

I have the canon 40d and have not used them yet. I know what they are for but I wondered what i should put in.

I think Id like them to be C1: Landscapes C2: Birds C3: Macros

So for landscapes, Id put mirror lock up, lSO 100...... what else?

Birds.....high shutter speed, higher ISO...what else?

Macros ... mirror lockup, high fstop for good dof............what else?

This applies to canons nikons etc etc... i was just wondering what you all do

I`m ashamed to say that I don`t use them Janice.........:(

I'm ashamed to say I dont know enough about the settings on how to use them yet to use them :shake:

What a bunch of plonkers..... youre as bad as me!! :D :LOL: ;)

Another one for the never used it camp :)

Doubt I ever will either.

i dont really use it either.

if its night i switch to c2 which is set to mirror lockup, and keeps lcd illumination on.

Easier to see what im doing without turning light on every 20 secs.

But should do more with them really.

They are very usefull for some types of photography.

I don't tend to use them at all anymore, but when I used to do nightlife photography they were probably the most usefull feature on the camera. I used all 3 of them (1 for shots of people, 1 for shots of in-club strobe lighting and 1 for ambient scenes inside clubs etc).

If you are constantly shooting in the same or similar location, then C1, 2 and 3 can be a real time and shot saver.

I did look at using it for a wedding so I could have a setup for indoors and one for outdoors. In the end I didn't bother because the conditions are just too variable. I found it better just to adjust at the time.

I tend to try to keep as much variety in my togging as I can so I'm doing still life one day and boxers the next. So I do tend to just go with what I'm doing at the time.

Im afriad i shall join the majority of people here and say i havent used them either. However i will be keeping a close eye on this thread and maybe i shall be using them shortly :)

I've set them up on my 40D, but can honestly say i've never used them.

C1 - I've set this for landscapes, so i've put an exposure of 15 seconds @ f/11, ISO100. One shot focusing, Auto white balance.

C2 - I've set this for moving shots, so 1/80th @ f/5.6, ISO100. AI Focus, Full 6.5 fps shooting, Auto white balance.

C3 - I've set this one up similar to how I use AV mode with my nifty fifty, so i've set the aperture to f/2.8, ISO100. Auto white balance, One shot focus.

I've basically set them up as guidelines/starter settings, so say for example I go shooting landscapes, I can flick over to C1 and i've got some rough settings to start with, which I can fine tune to get the shot I want ie. set the white balance properly etc.

I think the custom settings are a nice touch, allthough as I said, i've not used them as I generally find myself manually setting the camera up via the various settings etc instead.

Hope this helps J.

Can we do it on the D80? How embarrassing if we can, as I've not discovered that one! :nuts:

I shouldn't worry..... seems even the people who HAVE discovered it... havent used it!

I dont think setting the ap/shutter is of much use as every shot will vary so much but sure enough the ISO, mirror lock, stuff like that.. those are things I very rarely remember to use... so it would be of great benefit to me for them to be done automatically when I am taking landscapes, even if I have to alter the other bits.

I only have 1 on my 5D but its set up for - AV, F2.8, * focus, One Shot, Iso 100

It is handy but as there is only one, not really found a great use for it

I must admit that having come from a film background with a "match needle" exposure system, I obviously had no pre sets available.

Now with the D300 I still find it easier just to change settings rather than swap from one preset to another.

What a bunch of plonkers..... youre as bad as me!! :D :LOL: ;)

Hehe, never used it either, on my original 40D or the replacement

I tend to adjust the settings there and then, according to the light/conditions etc. etc.

I really get carried away with the moment when Im shooting and always forget to change ISO. Have never used mirror lockup.. dont think of changing to AF Servo when shooting birds etc.

In my case I think they will be invaluable for all these extra settings. Will leave me to consider my manual settings of ap/shutter.

Perfect for us grumpy old women, eh Carole!! ;) :D

I'm not familiar with Canon menu's but, from reading this thread, it sounds like the 'Custom' menu settings on Canon's are more like the 'Shooting' menu settings on Nikon's... correct me if I'm wrong. :shrug:

I only use one Custom setting on my Nikon but have four different Shooting menu's set up. One for my home studio (with custom white balance etc.), one for property interiors (for my business), one for high quality general use and one for snaps.

Flashy

I use C3 for panoramas : Manual exposure, manual WB, and various others settings which I forget - which is why I stick 'em all in C3 !

Am I the only one ? :woot:

On my D300 I have the following :-

Custom Bank 1 - Normal AF-S.
Normal use.

Custom Bank 2 - AF-C
Continuous focus set, with 9 focus points, focus length set to medium, no focus assist.

Custom Bank 3 - Tripod
Single Focus, Mirror lockup, no focus auto assist

Back