Calais sunset

Name
Rob
Edit My Images
Yes
I took this when returning home from Calais, the sun was setting and this just seemed to work for me. Tell me if you think otherwise or how I could have improved on this shot. Thank you.

I can see the attraction of the image but I'm not sure that it works for me. I think perhaps it falls just between working as an abstract and as a more traditional view.

Unfortunately it does not work for me either.
Don't think that vertical structure and the lattice metal actually help the picture.
Perhaps if that were not there and some more foreground interest was it would help.

Not always easy to get a good blend when mixing some man made objects with sky etc.

I'd suggest that the structures sit inbetween detail shots and silhouettes and that may have been what you were aiming for. But as an abstract, there is too much detail for me, and also, because the frame and building both appear to have 'hovered' into view (no ground to anchor them) they don't really seem to add very much to the shots. If the sun had been used to perform a more 'contra-jour' type shot behind the framework (creating a sort of light-halo), then it would ahve made more of a silhouette and perhaps been a stronger image.

As arclight says (and reinforcing my view of 'grounding' the image), if there had been something in the foreground to 'fix' the view.

That said, I see a strong rule of thirds which I would guess you aimed for, and you ahve also kept good detail in the sky without blowing anything out.

Back