Calibration

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
No
I'm after some feed back on the Pantone HueyPro monitor calibrator. I had been looking at the standard Huey, but it says it only supports Windows 2000 and XP, whereas the Pro will work with Vista.

Does anyone have any experience with it, any feedback? Or can anyone suggest a better calibrator for the same (or maybe cheaper)?

Originally, it might have been the case. But it was never a incompatibility with the hardware itself.

All Pantone have done is released an updated software driver (1.0.5 to be precise) which is compatible with the 64-bit OS. You just need to log in to the Pantone site and download the newest software to get both versions of the Huey working with Vista.

hmmmm, in that case I might look at the standard Huey, as from what I've read it's a bit easier to use. It'll be my first calibrator, so I want to keep things simple, and cheap!

Investment is the word too, I'm doing more and more studio work with models etc for TFCD now, so I need to make sure my PPing is up to scratch!

I'm not sure what TFCD is, but given the choice between the Huey and Huey Pro I'd go for the latter. In fact, I'd go for the latter over almost every other calibration device out there, bar the really expensive ones.

What monitor do you have? And idea of the make/model?

It's an old advent (model HD-772i) LCD one. I need to change it if I'm honest, but at the moment it's either monitor or calibrator, not both!

I use a Huey Pro on Vista x64 with no problems.

It's a tricky decision. The problem with every calibration device out there (bar one) is that you don't get any meaningful feedback about how well the monitor is performing. You might get a 'before' and 'after' check but without any actual statistics you've got no idea how accurate the calibration was.

Unfortunately I can't find any salient information about your screen, so it's a hard decision to call. You might spend your money on your Huey Pro and calibrate your screen, but the end results might not necessarily be better than buying a new monitor which was more accurate in the first place, although that's doubtful.

I'd be inclined, were it my money, to get your calibration device sorted, calibrate your current screen and then start saving your pennies for Dell's Dell 2209WA. It's staggeringly good value.

Oh, so would that be about having a quick turnaround between the shots being taken and then presented to the client? Or something similar?

I think it's where the model offers their time for free in return for getting the photos on a CD for their portfolio - saves the photographer having printing costs.

Ohhhhh.

I've never come across that term before, so thanks for the explanation.

It's also to help boost my portfolio :)

Back