Call me Mr. Stupid, but...

Hi Mr Stoopid :LOL: - Sorry, just kidding :D

The Nifty 50 refers to the 50mm f1.8, because it's a stunning lens for the price, pretty much :D

Ahh, I get it. Thank you very much for clearing that one up. Now I know.

That is not a stupid question man

I needed to know that too (y)

Tony

I stand corrected. I'll defo have to get one now!

Asking about it is not at all stupid. Not having one probably is. :D

:thinking:I don't have one.

It's not good value - but only because you'll then also have to buy the 85mm f/1.8 :D

Worth every penny !!! Took a major decision last year and brought one of these. It is utterly amazing. Comes into a world of it's own in low light...

That's nice to know.

I fairly recently got myself a 70 - 200 f2.8L after taking ages to justify it over the f4. Best decision I ever made I'd say now.

Not even that, just the one stop difference between f/1.2 and f/1.8

See here.

So does that mean that the next stop up from f1.4 is f2? So f1.8 is just a bit faster than f2 and not a full stop.

I need to go and think about it for a while I think. I thought I understood this stops malarky!

multiply the number (or divide) by 1.4. It's because it's circular; the area (and hence light) increases by double when the diameter increases by 1.4x.

So does that mean that the next stop up from f1.4 is f2? So f1.8 is just a bit faster than f2 and not a full stop.

I need to go and think about it for a while I think. I thought I understood this stops malarky!

Yes. Lens apertures increase in smaller increments than a full stop giving greater exposure flexibility. Also, shutter speeds increase in smaller than one stop increments for the same reason.

It's important to understand how the two relate if you're working in manual mode because if you want to increase the shutter speed by one stop
you will have to open the aperture by one stop to maintain the same exposure. It might be worth printing out the Wiki page I linked and cutting out the F-stop scale and keeping it in your kit bag.

You can also play around in aperture and shutter priority modes. Set the camera to one mode and point it anywhere under consitent lighting. Then chnage either the aperture or the shutter speed and see how the camera changes the shutter speed or aperture to match.

Back