Calling All Holga Users...

Name
April 2008
Edit My Images
No
Am looking to have a play and just wondering which camera I should buy (was thinking just bog-std 120N), and also what sort of B&W film. I know nothing about film. I won't be developing myself, so will have to source this somewhere too. Can I just buy any soft of Ilford B&W 120 film from ebay?

And any recommendations on ISO? I would be planning to fart about with it outside doing landscape stuff. So can I just buy ISO100 stuff?

Any recommendations for processing appreciated too :D

I've got the bog standard 120N and I thinks it's all you need. I have a few spare rolls of Neopan 400 kicking around, they're probably out of date but should be fine. PM me your address if you want them. As for processing, I used Peak Imaging and they were fine.

I found ISO 400 film to be best, the shutter is around 1/100 sec and aperture f11.

Yeah 400 ASA is the one for Holga. What black and white film is a personal thing really.

Getting out of date film from ebay is usually OK and will be fine in a holga.

why not try to develop your own film, it doesn't take a lot to get started?

http://www.ilfordphoto.com/applications/page.asp?n=31

Remember to post results :)

You might also need to find bits of thin card to hold the film spools in as Kiasdad does with his:D:D

Buy a Clack unless you're really sold on Holgas.
Some HP5
Ilfosol s
fixer
Patterson super system 4 tank with a spiral
Thermometer
A couple of plastic jugs from Asda
Basic stuff..(y)

PM me your address if you want them. As for processing, I used Peak Imaging and they were fine.

Many thanks for that Richard. Expect a PM shortly. And I've looked at Peak Imaging, looks like they'll do the job for starters :)

why not try to develop your own film, it doesn't take a lot to get started?

I may well give that a go further down the line, but for the minute I'll try letting someone else do the dev. If I like it... who knows?!

Remember to post results :)

Doh, what a dufus! That's something else i'll need to think about. At the moment, we don't even own a scanner.

You might also need to find bits of thin card to hold the film spools in as Kiasdad does with his:D:D

From what I've read, the 'N' doesn't need it, and it was only earlier models. But thanks for the advice.

Buy a Clack unless you're really sold on Holgas.

The deed has been done, and a Holga 120N is now on order from good ol Hong Kong. I looked at the Clack after your advice, but am pretty sold on the Holga to start with - mainly for it's dreaminess. I can see it working quite nicely with landscapes. Having said that, if someone hadn't already placed a bid on a Clack, I'd have gotten one of those too. They're a bargain! I expect I'll get one shortly once I've played with the Holga.

I'd go for the 120N with some ISO 400 film. I like Ilford HP5 :)

All in hand and on order :) I'm looking forward to it's arrival.

:D

I'd totally recommend putting 400film in and even pushing it a stop or two if it was taken in winter light use a light meter or meter with your camera.

Ooo, just taken delivery of a box from Hong Kong. Mistress Holga is in the house! She's not exactly svelte! :D

Will do a bit of reading, then hopefully try some shots later this weekend once the chrimbo tree and decorations are up.

Back