Critique Calliphora vomitoria

Name
Tim
Edit My Images
Yes
I love the scientific name of this species. You just know this must have been the troublesome fly that got in the transporter with Jeff Goldblum and caused all of that interesting behaviour ;)

More commonly known as the Bluebottle:

Calliphora vomitoria by Tim.Garlick, on Flickr

Flickr seems to be going sharpening crazy on this. It looked ok to me in Lightroom, but I went slide down the clarity a fair bit and re-uploaded, but it still looks a bit extreme to me.

Super detail Tim.

Flickr seems to be going sharpening crazy on this. It looked ok to me in Lightroom, but I went slide down the clarity a fair bit and re-uploaded, but it still looks a bit extreme to me.

Flickr's sharpening antics are a real pain. Makes some of my stuff look horrible here. You are not alone!

Love the scientific name, fly looks fine to my delicate eyes Tim.

Well done for getting so close it must have been having a nap! They always buggy off for me.

Ewww to the name but what a great shot and the detail...wow I like it (y)

Nice detail, I find these are pretty skittish flies and take off just before you get into the final shooting position.

Nice detail there. Flickr is a joke with oversharpening and it's an issue that's been there for ages. Only way I can reduce the horrid artefacts are to make sure you save in sizes they work with or their resharpening goes nuts.
Use 1024 or 1600 pixels and see if that helps. Some even apply a small amount of blur! Although I doubt that's necessary.

Thanks all, I think I managed to get three shots of this guy before he scarpered, but this was the only one in full profile. They are very skittish but I got lucky this time ;)

Use 1024 or 1600 pixels and see if that helps. Some even apply a small amount of blur! Although I doubt that's necessary.
Thanks for that. I'll update my Lightroom presets for exports and see if it's any better (I think I randomly picked a max of 1000X1000 at some point and just stuck with that, but I'll try what you suggest and hopefully I won't suffer so much from this issue in future!

An excellent shot Timmy, real cool metallic look to it.

Do Flickr not have an option to disable any post processing on images you've uploaded? If not, that's not good practice by them.

Pretty impressive Tim as always, amazing detail and colour

Do Flickr not have an option to disable any post processing on images you've uploaded? If not, that's not good practice by them.
Unfortunately not, and it seems Flickr are leaning towards the more social aspects of the site rather than focusing on the photographic requirements. Oh well, I can't blame them I suppose, it's in the nature of things to pursue the areas of most perceived profit.

Thanks all! I've just found out this is probably not Calliphora vomitoria but more likely Calliphora vicina (mainly due to the yellow colouration on the cheeks and at the base of the wings). Oh well, the scientific name is not quite as fun, but hopefully it will impress your friends and family when you can point out the identifying features of a bluebottle :)

wonderful shot Tim:)
but does look a bit oversharpened as you say
when I want to upload to flicker I sharpen the full size shot as normal then resize for web without resharpening then upload at 800 pixels
they look OK on here but never the same detail as the full size ones but I guess that's expected

Back