camcorder balance solution

Name
Bazza
Edit My Images
Yes
Trying to walk with a camcorder and stop shake This is how I think I have overcome the problem

Everywhere is advertised gimbals that hav a metal curve and a loose handle in the centre. the camcorder sits on the top and can be moved backwards and forwards with weghts to stop side tilt Or the ones on a T pole withadded to each side to balance.
Well I have I think come up with a better solution

What I used was a mini ball joint- a short selfie type stick and a couple of weights (to suit)from the first one I mentioned
Using the Sony FDR-AX53 camcorder but should help with all camcorders
final.jpg

With this setup no bars with weights to struggle with just bar type with the weights off it.. With one hand on the grip as shown and the other through the camera Sony handle It works brilliantly. Bit on the heavy side dependling on the weignts used of course. One advantage is the whole thing unscrews so takes up
little space. The mini ball head needs firml;y clamped into position even super glued if unable. to stop the ball/socket to get loose. I just used a pair of grips to really fasten it down very tighty

Last edited:
Looks like it might be OK for the back garden, but difficult walking along the street.

Not yet Neil. If I get a chance tomorrow going to relatives so might have a go then

Last edited:
It depends what you need. The most simple stabilizer I use is a collapsed monopod with a foot which is a bit like this. It has the advantage that you can extend the monopod for a more stable base when needed. But for movement a flycam or gimbal produce more stable results.

Back