Camera advice- ISO related

DinoS

Hmmmmm.......Paste!
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

I have just completed my first wedding, (which went very well and im very happy with the results, will post some later). I used a canon 400d and 1000d, however the only thing im not happy with is how they handle ISO. I had to shoot at ISO 800 and the some of the photos are slightly noisy when blown up large. Of course it makes a lovely film grain effect ;)

I'm looking at doing more weddings an was wondering what camera would be recommended that can handle ISO significantly better.

Most of my lenses are crop lenses so ideally i would stay on a crop sensor,

The lenses I have and used,

Sigma 70-200mm F2.8
Tamron 28-75mm F2.8
Tamron 17-50mm F2.8
Canon 50mm F1.8
Sigma 10-20mm F4-F5.6

Flash Canon 430EX
Many thanks

Mark

Well, all i'll say is newer the better.

The 40d/50d do perform well in dark situations as long as you have fast glass to back it up with. (Such like the f1.8 primes, and the f2.8 zoom lenses)

The lenses I have and used,

Sigma 70-200mm F2.8
Tamron 28-75mm F2.8
Tamron 17-50mm F2.8
Canon 50mm F1.8
Sigma 10-20mm F4-F5.6

Canon 430EX

have you printed say at A3 and dissapointed? or are you seeing the grain when you view at 100%? if the latter, I wouldn't worry about it and try running off some prints to see whether it really is a problem.

I wouldn't have thought the 40D/50D handles noise significantly better than the 400D. Download some trial noise reduction software to see if it helps.

have you printed say at A3 and dissapointed? or are you seeing the grain when you view at 100%? if the latter, I wouldn't worry about it and try running off some prints to see whether it really is a problem.

I wouldn't have thought the 40D/50D handles noise significantly better than the 400D. Download some trial noise reduction software to see if it helps.

Yes it does.

I progressed from a 400d to a 50d, and i can safely use iso 1600 with no worries, whilst i was pushing the 400d when it was over iso 400.

But i've heard good things about noise ninja software. Don't know whether it's free or not..

I had a 30d for a shortwhile but sent it back due to a problem sometimes that when you push the shutter button it sometimes didn't shoot,

Is this still a problem with xxd models or only the 30d?

Do you have any shots of the 40d and 50d at 1600? ideally without reducing it

Even if the 70-200mm is non DG?

Well thats interesting as that is 3/5. Ummmmm

So how does the 5d Handle ISO?

Yes it does.

I progressed from a 400d to a 50d, and i can safely use iso 1600 with no worries, whilst i was pushing the 400d when it was over iso 400.

But i've heard good things about noise ninja software. Don't know whether it's free or not..

doesn't really, unless I'm reading the graphs all wrong http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/eng/DxOMark-Sensor/

I went from a 400D, 30D, 40D, then to a 5D. The only one that was a bit better at high iso is the 5D, but even then I would say noise reduction software could even things out.

doesn't really, unless I'm reading the graphs all wrong

The graphs appear to be logarithmic, so you do need to be careful....

However, the difference doesn't appear to be as vast as I had previously been lead to believe.

Edit:
I was also considering the upgrade to a 50D, purely on the basis that the ISO handling of the 400d was very poor.
However, I upgraded the firmware on the camera recently, and I have now been getting images at 800 ISO, which are reasonable.
The picture below is a non-resized (i.e. 100%?) crop of an image I took recently, at 800 ISO. It is so much better than I was getting at 400ISO previously.
extreme.JPG

Unfortunately, that kinda talks me out of an upgrade :(

Edit2:
However, if you want a reason to upgrade, the wildlife pictures posted in http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=138851 make me green with envy.

that looks much better than mine at 400 as well,

Whats the firmware update?

I couldn't find details of the firmware update on the canon UK or canon US sites, I had been popping back into the My Canon part expecting an update of some sort. So I did a search on the internet, and came up with:
http://www.canon.co.jp/imaging/eosdigital3/e4kr3_firmware-e.html

The canon japan site. The update only apparently adds information about 3 lenses, and adds polish as a language, but the difference in ISO makes me think that maybe it changes that too.

Even if the 70-200mm is non DG?

Well thats interesting as that is 3/5. Ummmmm

DG has nothing to do with sensor size (it's a term for a lens coating that Sigma use). DC is the acronym used by Sigma which indicates that a lens is designed for use on a cropped-sensor camera. Your Sigma 10-20mm is a DC lens. :)

DG has nothing to do with sensor size (it's a term for a lens coating that Sigma use).

Now that's confusing, as Canon use it for Dispersive Glass, which I was kinda in two minds about as a technology.

Opens up a whole new swathe of lenses that information!

Back