Camera advice

Name
Daniel
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi, I'm looking for advice on what type of camera I should buy.

I want to photograph - in colour - brochure quality resin figurines. The figurines are approx 6 inches in height and accurate colour and sharpness of detail are imperative.

I'm currently using an old Fuji S7000 with a cubelite, lit by daylight bulbs, but want to (need to!) upgrade. Can anyone advise on the best camera, and if needs be lens, to use for this sort of composition? My budget is £500 to £800.

Many thanks in advance
Dan

Best advice is to go to your local camera shop and try the ranges of camera's out, take some cards and something to photograph, so you can compare shots later. Sony, Pentax, Nikon, Canon, Olympus all offer affordable bodies around the £300 - 500 mark. Personally I would avoid the Kit offers, the lenses aren't that good, would buy a body and lens separately, you also need to consider a decent flash to be included in the price.

A Canon 40D/450D with a 60mm macro should do a very creditable job, but as above, try before you buy!

Thanks for your quick responses, much appreciated.

Does anyone find that macro modes can distort images, such as foreshorten subjects and exagerate perspective or is this just me and the camera?

Thanks

Hi Dan,

A decent lens is going to give you that good detail and quality when you get close up and into print but it's technique that will make the large difference.

You need to have a good workflow, controlling colour all the way through, know what you're doing with the lighting and keeping the camera positioned to cancel distortion.

Back