Beginner Camera and lens compatibility

Name
Mary
Edit My Images
No
Hi everyone. I'm relatively new to photography. I have a Nikon D5200 which came with an 18-55 lens (2nd hand). I then picked up a 55-200 (again, 2nd hand). I really enjoy being out and about trying to get animal/bird photos and am looking to add a telephoto lens. I'm looking at the Tamron SP 150-600mm f/5-6.3 Di VC USD. From what I've read the D5200 has limited compatibility with AF-P lenses, but can't find out what variety of AF (AF-S or AF-P?) this lens is. I have read some people saying that possibility a firmware update is needed to ensure the autofocus works with older cameras. Does anyone have any experience with this combination, or confirm whether or not it would work.
Thanks in advance
Mary

Hi Mary, and welcome to TP :wave:

I may be wrong, but I believe the Tamron USD lenses are equivalent to AF-S so will work with you D5200. Happy shooting :)

Hi Mary, and welcome to TP :wave:

I may be wrong, but I believe the Tamron USD lenses are equivalent to AF-S so will work with you D5200. Happy shooting :)
Hi Steve. Thanks for your reply. That's good to know. Looking forward to getting the new lens in the very near future :)

Hi Mary, why not look at the Sigma 150-600mm Contemporary lens, should work fine on your camera

The sigma is the better one of the two . And have a u.k based repair service /helpline if ever needed

Take a look at the guide from MPB in the thread they have with us for Guides and Tutorials it may help

All I will say is try using a lens at 600mm and keeping it steady before you buy

Hi Mary, why not look at the Sigma 150-600mm Contemporary lens, should work fine on your camera

The sigma is the better one of the two . And have a u.k based repair service /helpline if ever needed

Take a look at the guide from MPB in the thread they have with us for Guides and Tutorials it may help

All I will say is try using a lens at 600mm and keeping it steady before you buy

just takes a bit of practice and using the right techniques, the Sigma contemporary isn't that heavy, unlike the Sport.
Thanks for all the comments. I'll have a look at the Sigma as well. All the help is much appreciated.

to be fair which ever one you buy , due to the nature of the beast your not going to be able to hand hold it effectively for b.i.f unless you go to the gym daily .. so you will probably have to factor in a a decent tripod and gimbal head as well .
thats why a lot of peeps are turning to mirrorless systems that are lighter and often have stabilised bodies as well as stabilised lenses .

to be fair which ever one you buy , due to the nature of the beast your not going to be able to hand hold it effectively for b.i.f unless you go to the gym daily .. so you will probably have to factor in a a decent tripod and gimbal head as well .
thats why a lot of peeps are turning to mirrorless systems that are lighter and often have stabilised bodies as well as stabilised lenses .
I'm definitely not a gym goer :D, so will be having a look at tripods and gimbal heads.

We do gym and OH did get the Sigma 150-600C in 2019 for our trip to Costa Rica - she was envious about my Nikkor 200-500.

We checked it out in the shop and liked it but once we got to San Jose and used it in the hotel's magnificant gardens (lots of Kiskadees, hummers and woodpeckers) we just could not click with it. Pidgeons on the chimney pots on a grey day in Colwyn Bay - great - sun-basked gardens in central America - fail!

Lens immediately returned and part-exd for something else.

So, before buying ask if you can spend some time with a demo lens and trying it in not so fabulous conditions and see how you feel beforehand.

I did have a 150-500 (PK fit) before making Nikon my action system - the Nikkor 200-500 is a much nicer lens to use in my opinion.

We do gym and OH did get the Sigma 150-600C in 2019 for our trip to Costa Rica - she was envious about my Nikkor 200-500.

We checked it out in the shop and liked it but once we got to San Jose and used it in the hotel's magnificant gardens (lots of Kiskadees, hummers and woodpeckers) we just could not click with it. Pidgeons on the chimney pots on a grey day in Colwyn Bay - great - sun-basked gardens in central America - fail!

Lens immediately returned and part-exd for something else.

So, before buying ask if you can spend some time with a demo lens and trying it in not so fabulous conditions and see how you feel beforehand.

I did have a 150-500 (PK fit) before making Nikon my action system - the Nikkor 200-500 is a much nicer lens to use in my opinion.
Thanks for the info Peter. I live on the east coast of Scotland, so plenty of grey days here I'll see what I can do about trying one out.

Back