Camera Bag for holiday

Name
Dan
Edit My Images
No
Can anyone recommend a good bag for my camera gear. I’m off to florida in a few weeks to Disney with the kids and want a good quality bag to carry my Camera in, something not to bulky but secure. It will have a D300, SD 600 speedlight 18-200VR lens (attached to camera) and possibly one more lens.
Cheers
Dan
:help:

i have jsut received my lowepro fastpack 200 and am in love with it.

i wanted a bag with a side entry system for my travels later this year, for fast, secure and easy access to my body.

i got it in black for £35 delivered, bargain price for the 200.

Really good and helpful review, I'm looking for something really that I can use as a rucksack but many thanks anyway

Maybe the Lowepro Rover AW II Backpack would suit you? I use the Mini Trekker II and find it to be really fantastic but you cant really use it as a rucksack for other things.

Either that or get a lowepro mini trekker or micro trekker

Used to have the mini and that worked really well.

Only upgraded for bigger kit

Kind Regards

Dan,

Hope you have a good trip. Animal Kingdom (one of the Disney parks) is good for photography. They have a large number of safari trucks that go through a set route taking in a wide range of animals. Reckon you will need IS on your lens.

Re your post. There are a number of Best Buy outlets around the Orlando area. They are box shifters, some will call them Worst Buy. Take an old rucksack on the way out and purchase a camera bag there. Walmart have some smaller bags.

pm me if you want to know about general shopping.

John

Hey,

I am just back from Florida and it rocked. We are going back again and are saving up our pennies. I would advise travelling light, we had our 6yo and 1yo so it involved taking a change bag and we took packed lunches with us (the food in the parks is mainly burgers and crazily overpriced). I had my EOS 40d in a Crumpler Pretty Boy and it worked out fine. I would advise against a bag with loads of pockets as they search your bags on the way into the parks and they will go into every compartment. Something simple you can sling over your shoulder.

As for buying camera gear out there, I was all fired up to lay down some money but I thought the camera stores were crap. The only decent one was Ritz camera but even they didn't have a huge selection of stuff.

By the way, this is a bit off topic but if you are hiring a car and need a babyseat don't get one from the rental companies, they sting you something awful. And don't pay the prepay fee for the toll roads, again a rip off as you will hardly ever drive over a toll road if you are just whizzing back and forth to disney.

I used the Lowpro Orion Trekker II through Disney and Universal.
http://products.lowepro.com/product/Orion-Trekker II,1989.htm

Top half of the bag is for general stuff, books, maybe large filters etc. water bottles (can just about get a magazine in it, but not a laptop). If you do put something heavy in the top half, don't leave the zips in the middle at the top, they sometimes pull open (rare, but of concern in crowds).
Bottom half has both a zip, and a catch mechanism. Either is enough to hold it shut with my camera gear in (which I did trek around animal kingdom with). It has had 1 Canon 400D, + up to 5 lenses (well, ok, one of these is actually a video camera, but it is of the same dimensions basically as my 28-135 lens). If I have the 70-300mm on the camera (my longest at 17cm), then I can get 3 other lenses into the bottom OK, as the panels are movable. If it is off the camera, the height of the bottom section is enough so that it can be stored vertically. The front pockets can store sunglasses/phones or mini-tripods OK I find (well, actually, my sunglasses got crushed/broken last year, but I think that was more the fault of bag being thrown out of the car)

Going through airport security has never been a problem with it. I just flap the bottom open and it goes through the X-ray machine. If you are happy walking along on just a catch, it can be very quick to get into (I do on coastal/walks, but not usually in crowds), the zips don't really slow down access that much. If you are into serious walking as well, it has both a chest-strap and waist strap.

The camera stores can be very hit and miss. I have not had any success with the off-the-road stores. They all seemed a little, seedy (Hmm, so you have just dropped $2000 off the price for me, becuase I said I wasn't sure? Once?)
In the Buena-Vista outlet village there was a semi-decent one, and also in the Floria Mall complex there were a couple of shops.
I got my Lexar CF cards from Walmart at good prices, however, the prices do vary depending which Walmart you are at ($10-$15, which given the cost of petrol [must be at least $3 now] and the exchange rate, you might consider shopping around).
I use the packhorse, sorry the wife, for carrying my large tripod or monopod if we go somewhere where it might be necassary.

Thanks to everyone who has replied to this, It is greatly appreciated, I'll let you know how I get on and which one I will get.

Thanks

Dan

Back