Camera bag & monopod

moomike

TPer Emeritus
Name
Mike
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi guys & gals,
Was just wondering if any of you kind people would mind offering some advice on a monopod & suitable camera bag (I'm fed up of carrying two bags)
Bag first: I have a 1D and a 20D so will need to be able to fit both of these in, also I am looking into the 100-400 or 70-200 soon and already have the 50 1.4 & a horrendously soft 75-300 (so soft in fact, I could probably fold it up & stuff it in one of the side pockets :LOL: ).
I really could do with a monopod - I went to Jacobs today & the salesperson told me the Manfrotto were great (which I already knew) but that they didn't make different heads for monopods (what??? hmmm) you could only get a fixed "screw in the top" style one. Naturally, I left rather quickly after that & decided to consult some people who may actually have a clue.
Cheers in advance for any help. (y)
Mike.

Manfrotto 679 here, nice and solid but the few times I use it I don't bother with a head.

As far as bags are concerned I've got a Tamrac Cyberpack 8, holds a mountain of stuff but weighs a ton.

I have a Crumpler Shrinkle for days when I have to carry everything and also a Manfrotto 676B monopod which fits inside the Crumpler. I don't use a head on it but just screw the monopod straight onto the QR plate on my lens

I get all the gear in my sig, plus other bits and pieces not listed, in my Lowepro Mini Trekker All Weather. Even fully laden it's very comfortable with contoured body straps and padding.

I'll give another vote for the mini trekker AW......I can get two bodies, one with grip, kit lens, 70-300, Tamron 19-35 (I know its range is covered by the kit lens but I have a polariser for the Tamron and not for the kit lens, and I like the Tamron lens too!) my flashgun and lots of other odds and sods inside, plus a tripod (would imagine you could adjust it to hang onton a monopod also) attached to the outside. The AW cover is absolutely fantastic too - unbelievably waterproof! Only downside is that the bag on its own is a heavy beast even before you get the kit inside.....

Cheers for the responses guys, looks like I'll be looking at a mini trekker & one of the Manfrotto monopods (& also not shouting at the guy from Jacobs as it seems most just use the monopod without a head attached - although this doesn't mean that they don't make them though! - maybe he was just recommending to use one without & I misunderstood?)
Can't really moan about the service at Jacobs though as a guy I met there really seemed to know what he was talking about (he should hopefully be signing up to the forums soon if my "awesome forum" spiel worked.
Anyway, thanks again for the help.

Make sure you get the AW (All weather version) It's not too obvious looking at it as the cover is well concealed under a flap on the bottom of the bag. When it's pulled out it covers the whole bags, zips 'n all so it's really well protected in a downpour - even if you aren't. ;)

I get all the gear in my sig, plus other bits and pieces not listed, in my Lowepro Mini Trekker All Weather. Even fully laden it's very comfortable with contoured body straps and padding.

So the Mini Trekker is deep enough to take a 1D ?

Make sure you get the AW (All weather version) It's not too obvious looking at it as the cover is well concealed under a flap on the bottom of the bag. When it's pulled out it covers the whole bags, zips 'n all so it's really well protected in a downpour - even if you aren't. ;)
That's a really good point actually. My bags water resistant but the weather at the rally recently was too much for it, the padding inside was noticeably damp.

So the Mini Trekker is deep enough to take a 1D ?

Yep.. takes mine. You can get bigger bags, but it's plenty big enough when you have to hump the thing around. :D

Cheers CT.

I have the Nature Trekker AW II but wondered if I could manage with something smaller.

The Lowepro does a good job.

Another option is the Crumpler December Quarter

Best monopod I have seen and used has been the Manfrotto Neotec which isn't cheap but the usual hassles of set up and take down disappears.

As to head, the tripod and monopod heads are the same. Best option in my book is the Manfrotto 488 RC2 ballhead which will do for most people who aren't 'best of the best' types. The 486 is a cheaper and smaller option and the distinction between the two is the 488 pans left to right. You don't need that with a mono, but with a tri it is invaluable. The flexibility is useful.

I have a Manfrotto momopod, and use it without a head...Its fanstastic qualiy, but if i were choosing now, I might go a different route...

Take a look a the various telescopic trecking poles available in the outdoor shops. At least one brand i have seen has a ball on the top which unscrews to leave a short screw designed to fit the bottom of cameras...Other brands i have seen are threaded for this screw, but would need it adding...

If you're doing any walking over rouch ground ect, a trecking pole is very useful aid especially if it doubles up as a camera monopod..

I've got the manfrotto 676 monopod, sturdy enough for my kit at the moment and the 234rc head. Two advantages to a head, with the RC you get a quick release plate, no risk of a cross thread if you are in a hurry. The other is that with the head I can go to portrait mode ;)

Back