Camera bag Newbie question

Edit My Images
No
Looking for a camera bag for my camera and lens. I am sure that there is some industry standards as to which are the best, and some which are notoriously horrible! I really want something that is good but cheap :) Thanks

hello again, funnily enough I'm in the process of looking for a new bag for myself and its currently doing my head in!

For people to make any sensible replies to your question I think you need to list what equipment you are carrying, with a note of planned future equipment and changes. That way the size can be judged

also for what purpose?

Lowepro are THE major bag manufacturer, reasonably tough kit from reasonable price to the pro £££ end of the market. Next current favourite from threads here and the shops is probably Crumpler but I dont have any experience of their bags.

Have a look here: www.cambags.com
(thanks to whoever mentioned that site on the big bag thread)

I know you're just starting with a DSLR so guessing that only one lightweight small body and one consumer lens, maybe a second consumer lens or flash due soon? I say consumer because the expensive lenses tend to have get bigger diameter and bigger length (thats what's done me, bought a 70-200F4L and it dont fit any of my bags properly)

go into jessops or wherever and have a look at these:
- Nova Mini AW, I've used a non-AW one for a few years, good lightweight walkabout bag. Its gor 2 vertical compartments, it'll take my canon 400d body and both the 18-55 kit lens (or nifty fifty) and a 28-105, front pocket for lens cloth, spare battery & rubber fold down lens hoods, P series filters just fit but no space for the filter carrier (handhold if desperate)
- Nova 2 AW, again I've got the non-AW one, mine's been in use for about 7 or 8 years, not daily but for hols & days out, looks like new despite rolling around in the back of the landrover and camping. Its got 3 vertical compartments, taller than the Nova Mini so fits the 75-300 (just). So it can carry 400d with kit lens, a nifty fifty below the kit lens, a 75-300 on one side and the 28-105 or a sigma 500 flash in the other side (Sadly its not tall enough for my new 70-200F4L so another bag is needed). Pocket on front will take all the bits & bobs, including the filter adapter.

dont size too tight so that the padding is compressed, otherwise it wont do its job and any bumps will be transmitted straight into the ends of lenses (bad). You can always add some more padding (I'm sure you can buy it, but i use my fingerless knitted cotton gloves and bits of scrap bubblewrap)

look for a setup that will allow any of your lenses to be fitted and in ready to shoot mode. Luckily digital SLRs (as opposed to film) are 1 sided, so only take 2/3 of the width of the 3 compartments in my Nova 2 so I can turn it around and drop the fitted lens down teh side compartment if needed, instead of the centre.

dont forget that a bulky camera strap will also take a lot of room, mine usually ends up folded over the back of the camera taking up another couple of cm of vertical space.

Not really industry standard, anything waterproof and soft and paddy will work.

Try Crumpler or Lowepro

Crumpler bags always seem smaller then they should be for the dimensions. If you go with Crumpler, choose the bag you want at the right size for your camera equipment and then but the next size up from that!

I have a lowpro slingshot 200 which I think is great. Carries 400d with lens, plus up to four other lenses and cokin holder/filters, lens hoods, memory cards, etc.

I got a lowepro slingshot 300 AW for christmas of my other half :love: and I have to say it's an excellent piece of kit! It has one strap that you put over your shoulder and then you can slide the bag round from a backpack to your front to give you access to the kit, very handy!

Don't think it was that cheap though :shrug:

hmmm, having shelled out on a couple of new lenses (nifty fifty and a 55-200) I now have the problem that the cheap bag they threw in with the camera (canon 400D) will only hold camera with a fitted lens, making it awkward to carry the new lenses.
I'm looking for a new bag than can carry all the above, with the spare batteries and memory cards. Maybe room for the charger (but not important) and would like it to have somewhere to attach a tripod/monopod in the future.
Its also important to me that the camera will fit in with the battery grip thats on my shopping list.
I quite like the look of the Lowepro slingshot designs, but didn't see if there is anything that would hold things in the bag when it opens, like a velcro strap, like in laptop bags.
Not sure about the single shoulder design either.
Room for a couple of other bits, like gloves and drink (preferable below the camera in case it leaks) would be brilliantly helpful.
Not sure about the single shoulder design though.
Does any one have any experience of a similar situation that can offer advice?

btw, mattyh, i'm about to pm with some specific questions, since you're living with the bag.

I have a Lowepro nova 2 which holds my EOS 300d with the 28-135 attached with the 50mm snuggled in alongside. It also has a waterproof cover which is handy, though I don't think it's necessary as it seems waterproof as it is!

A top notch bag for a decent price.

I use the lowerpro computrek its a great bag and very well made and I can get all my kit in but I cant do the zip up on the laptop compartment as it is just a bit to big :(. I do have a question though what the hell is the elasticated stringy things on the front for????
the down side of these bags is the price why are they so expensive? pobably made in china for pence

Back