Camera Bags

You is F&C's Julie...lol...cos we don't have a name for you, you'd crack some skulls if we called you Mrs, and Freecom sounds like a mobile phone shop.

Okay... if you say so! :wave:

Still haven't shaken off the Hadley Pro idea - although I think looking for a Epson V500 is first priority.

dsc_1318_zps3136d13b.jpg

The Olly's live in an old Jessops Shoulder bag
dsc_1532_zps6bd92ef9.jpg

The M42 Sigma has this rather fetching 'Period' vanity case, that came out of some-one's loft many years ago.
XA2... whole point was it goes in a pocket.
Konica has its original soft case.
dsc_1312_zpsc29ffcf2.jpg

And lives in the car. Everything else, lives in a box on the shelf until I get another display cabinet for them.
Oh... must sort something for the Nikon at some point.
My Daughter has nicked the small 'Image' shoulder bag I did put it in.

At one time the Olly's lived in soft cases with strap mounted lens pouches; as did the Sigma. Then they got an old desert Khaki ex Army & Navy knap-sack.

Because I shoot almost solely LF, to Joxby's utter dismay I would imagine, I use either a Lowepro Mini Trekker for just the LF gear, and if I want to take digital as well - usually for longer treks - I'll use a Lowepro Vertex 300 AW.

I have come late to this, but, I shot compact, SLR, DSLR and MF, I have four messenger bags that were either given or bought on the bay for a few pounds certainly less than £5 , to these I then use the fabulous Neoprene camera blanket wraps, every thing goes inside fully protected and no loss of space.

I think it is a great system to use for hardly any money.

I use a padded insert in a backpack for larger SLRs. Or a small/medium Crumpler bag, but it's a bit bulky and obvious for my liking.

dsc_1318_zps3136d13b.jpg

The Olly's live in an old Jessops Shoulder bag
where's that been, to the bottom of a lake ?

Because I shoot almost solely LF, to Joxby's utter dismay I would imagine, I use either a Lowepro Mini Trekker for just the LF gear, and if I want to take digital as well - usually for longer treks - I'll use a Lowepro Vertex 300 AW.

Its pure un-ashamed jealousy :(

Nearly as dirty as my ex!
Nearly...
But maybe not for you.... or maybe she wouldn't be an ex ;)
That was the 'Before' shot, as in before I cleaned them.
Haven't got an after, in the bag.
They spent five years being shifted from pillar to post during divorce & the less valuable they looked during that time, the better!

i have to agree with the coments about the Billingham 445 being too heavy once its loaded up...:bang:
i just bought (off the forum) an older Billinghman Photo Hadley. which is the older version of the Hadley Pro which is slightly smaller & doesn't have the handle. I bought this to decant gear into & use as a carry around bag i can actually lift & carry all day (y)

I use a Tamrac Rally 4, quite a small shoulder/cross body bag, took a Pentax MX and ME plus two extra lenses for the Greenwich meet, or one of the Pentaxes and my Fuji X10 (the "big" digital camera :) ) with two or three lenses. Room for a spare X10 battery, grad and other filters, and a cable release.

It's my tripod that I have trouble with. Consequently it almost never goes out with me...

It's my tripod that I have trouble with. Consequently it almost never goes out with me...

After trying to strap mine to my bag and finding it too cumbersome I gave in and bought a separate tripod bag from ebay. Over shoulder strap means one either side and shares load between shoulders!

Mark

Mark, that sounds like a good plan. Did you have to get one that matched the tripod, or did you just go generic? Mine's a Vanguard, £5 from a charity shop so I'm not going to be spending too much on a bag for it! :)

When I want to travel light, which is often, I use my Domke F803 satchel. Very nice bag -- well made, inconspicuous, holds my OM-3Ti and two lenses, plus a flash, meter and film. If I need to carry more, I use one of several shoulder bags I have.

I did get the Manfotto bag that matched mine Chris as the size was spot on.

There were a lot of non branded bags on eBay, most of which were cheaper, that looked tempting. Unfortunately quite a few are shipped via a slow boat from China and had delivery estimates of Winter.....

Mark

Backpack for me most of the time to keep your hands free (and they don't keep slipping off your shoulders like a shoulder bag), but you can't go to a wedding etc wearing a backpack, so I use the normal camera shoulder bag...any make is good enough for me (from my collection from buying camera kits) as I use it so little.

Last edited:
Lowepro Fastpack 300 here. I still can't find anything better than this. With this bag I can carry all my stuff (not that much: 40d + 17/50 + 70-300 + 50 + flash, a couple of acessories, film point-and-shoot, and I could also attach a tripod to the bag), and also I can access all of it only by flipping the bag to the front.

I've tried shoulder bags, but it's too much for my shoulder... Probably I'm getting one only to carry a film camera and a few acessories...

I like the idea of getting some inserts or a pre-made insert 'box' to put into an existing regular bag.

There seem to be loads about so any recommendations on which ones to look for / avoid?

I currently use a shoulder bag with a couple of t-shirts but its not ideal by any means and makes getting stuff in/out quite difficult. Would love to be able to turn that bag into a camera bag when needed.

Cheers

Lots of neoprene len and camera cases on eBay if you want them all individually wrapped bambam. I bought a pack of five lens bags in varying sizes that worked well and they were only a few quid.

Mark

The M6 had been living on a shelf. Ended up with a Billingham Hadley small, in fact I was ordered to, the other half liked it and insisted! Lovely bag, I have a Lowepro Sport 100AW from my DSLR days but it's not really appropriate.

I don't use a monorail, but I am assuming that the depth of the bag is just as crucial as width and height? In which case something deep like a Vertex 300 or similar would allow you to store the camera with the front a rear stations on their side and then ultimately not have to remove them from the rail.

Thanks that is helpful indeed. I will have a look. The dimensions are not too bad about 12 / 13 inches by 8 inches. I will have a look at that as the alternative is a hiking type back pack. I was going to take the camera into town tomorrow and see if it fits in one, but most likely will look like a complete idiot.

Just to bump this thread up - I've been using a bag insert that is about 11cm wide, but I'm thinking of using a Hadley Pro insert which I think is a bit thinner (and would thus fit my bag slightly better).

Does anyone currently do this? And anyone with a Hadley pro insert, could you possibly measure the internal and external dimensions of the insert? I only ask because B&H and a few other shops appear to list slightly different measurements from each other:

W32 x D7 x H22.5cm (Clifton Cameras)
W33.02 x D5.08cm x H21.59cm (B&H)

Not an answer to the question above, but I have a Domke F3 for the Mamiya 7, which fits the camera, a couple of lenses, filters, lightmeter, film etc very well. Happened to take a picture of it the other day, so an excuse to post it! :)

At the moment I am using a cheap and nasty huge shoulder bag. It's rubbish. Do any of the LF shooters here use a monorail? I am thinking there must be something better than I have preferably back-pack wise.

2985378038_058a48a472_z.jpg

Sinar F in a Lowepro Super Trekker with more lenses and bits than most people would want to carry.

From the refering info the above pic seems to get referenced quite a bit as either a how to or how not too, the trick with the F or Norma's is to fold the standards over the rail and leave the rail clamp on the tripod.

The above doesn't really come out to play these days as I have a F1 that gets packed into a Taramac Cyberpack 6 the Taramac is a bit deeper than the Lowepro which makes things easier to fit in, will try and do a photo later.

Sorry for the immense delay getting back to this, push the standards to the ends of the rail

12393304734_0edcc5fff8_c.jpg

Unclip the bellows from the front standard

12393010293_8d2b12dbe2_c.jpg

Lower the rear standard and tilt it all the way forward

12393014773_8f34e8e0b6_c.jpg

You then fold the front standard down over the bellows
12393319684_cf660a705c_c.jpg

Insert into backpack actually its a Cyberpack 8 apparently

12393328974_34f63f60fd_c.jpg

This is covered in the original F instructions which I can't find online at the moment, but I did find the General Sinar camera instructions which are probably useful to you if you have not read them

I use a vintage like satchel thats a normal bag and then i bought a camera bag inserts from ebay and just convert to a camera bag when i need it.

I've been thinking of purchasing camera partitions to place into an every day bag aswell.. which make did you go for & would you recommend it? Just wondering as I can only find a limited selection of products so far.

Back