Camera cleaning and care

Edit My Images
No
I was giving my D70 a dust off a few days ago and noticed the body is getting a little grubby. I've used it on the shore before now and the beach, it's not covered in sand or anything but there are definate signs of dirt, particulary around the auto/manual focus switch and the lens mount.

What's the best way to clean it? I want to keep it in tip-top condition!

:confused-

'Back to Black' the stuff they use on car trim

Every 350d owner should have a can...to get rid of the nail scratches on the crummy plastic body :p

Bachs said:

Every 350d owner should have a can...to get rid of the nail scratches on the crummy plastic body :p

:eek13: well Steve that wouldn't have been top of my list I must confess!

I think its the lens mount that worries me a little, dont want the seasalt eating away at it.. :ponders:

Bachs said:

Beware this can make your camera like a slippery eel if you don't wipe it all off properly!!

GfK said:
Beware this can make your camera like a slippery eel if you don't wipe it all off properly!!

..leave you with a nice black eye too if you use it on the back! :LOL:

DavidUK said:
..leave you with a nice black eye too if you use it on the back! :LOL:
Actually it doesn't, cos its clear. :)

i use shoe polish on my bumpers ;)

back to cleaning tho, id be interested too. myself i pick the sand out with a needle if it gets in the way, ive not really considered the salt much tho.

Damp cloth with a bit of washing-up liquid on it is best.
Though one surveillance photographer who shall remain nameless once, after dropping his D1 in the bottom of a muddy trench then treading on it, was told by the Master Phot to go and clean it properly.
He took it to the vehicle wash-down point and jet-washed it!
Needless to say, being a Nikon, it worked perfectly - Nikon UK even asked if they could use it in an ad campaign, but were told no as it made us look like a bunch of w@nkers...

Most cameras don't mind a bit of damp on the outside, just don't put them under the tap with the batteries still in it.

Arkady said:
Most cameras don't mind a bit of damp on the outside, just don't put them under the tap with the batteries still in it.

So...take the batteries out first :D

lol

I just use a slightly damp cloth on the body. Those scuff and scratch marks on the 350 are a pain though. Really annoying.

As for bit of sand, I use a lens pen (brush end) to flick it all off.

Back