Camera Gimbal

Name
Jon
Edit My Images
Yes
Years ago I used a Camcorder to do my home / family videos, and I must admit the video has always been very poor, due to me not being able to hold the camera still while walking.
Over the last few years, I use my Cameras to record family videos and the quality is no better, probably worse due to the ergonomics of the cameras, and me being older.

I would like to start recording video that is more comfortable to watch, as jerky video is off putting to the viewers. I was thinking of getting a camera Gimbal. So reading up on them, I was wondering if I should get a camera Gimbal, or a Gimbal that has a camera built in?

Been looking at this camera Gimbal, FeiyuTech AK2000C Gimbal £199. But for the same price, I could get either the Benro Snoppa Vmate Gimbal Camera £199 or Benro Snoppa Vmate Gimbal Camera £199.

I was also thinking of getting a small hand held sort of tripod, but not sure if this method would be anywhere stable as a Gimbal?

I have seen some YouTube Vloggers using a small Camcorder, fixed on a handheld tripod/ Gimbal and the video is lovely smooth and just gliding through the air.

Have a look at the Osmo pocket. Small, cheap and good quality video.

I wonder if the video from the Osmo, will be as good as the video from my large sensor cameras? As the Osmo is only a tiny 12MP 1/2.3 sized sensor, obviously better stability, but I wonder if the actual video quality is good?

I do like the look and sound of the Pocket 2, as it has a slightly bigger sensor than the pocket 1.

• DJI Pocket 2
    1/1.7” CMOS Sensor
    64MP Photo
    4K/60fps Video
    FOV 93°, F1.8
    (Format Equivalent: 20 mm)
    8x Zoom [1]
    DJI Matrix Stereo
    AI Editor

• Osmo Pocket
    1/2.3” CMOS Sensor
    12MP Photo
    4K/60fps Video
    FOV 80°, F2.0
But it's not cheap, at over £300

I have a Feiyu Pocket camera. It's like the DJI and Osmo cameras, but so much cheaper, especially if you buy it from Feiyu's site where it's priced in USD. Mine was around £150 delivered. Ideal if you're not 100% sure what you want/need.

I wonder if the video from the Osmo, will be as good as the video from my large sensor cameras? As the Osmo is only a tiny 12MP 1/2.3 sized sensor, obviously better stability, but I wonder if the actual video quality is good?

Will it be as good as a Sony A7III no.. but it’s 4K and pretty damn good, especially just for home movies. Plus its quarter or the price, and you can carry it anywhere and it doesn’t need calibrating every time you change a lens or remove the camera like a traditional gimbal sometimes does.

A good few decent cameras, but not a dedicated video camera.

A combined camera/gimbal like the osmo will give you the same sort of image quality as a good phone. If your cameras produce a better image than that you might be better of with a separate gimbal for you existing cameras.

A combined camera/gimbal like the osmo will give you the same sort of image quality as a good phone. If your cameras produce a better image than that you might be better of with a separate gimbal for you existing cameras.

Thanks for that, yes my cameras are larger sensors, so do give a good quality video, much better than a phone video.

_DSC4809aa.jpg

This camcorder is amazing it is the Sony FDR-AX53 I know I just bought one. it has an inbuilt floating Gimbal ( check out videos on youtube). learning how to walk heel to toe is the trick to steady videos (up/down movement). You won't find better without the need for a gimbal. It shoots in 4k as well as "normal" mode and the stills, yes it takes those as well are really good.

Downside is if you set one thing like shutter speed everything else get set automatically. Also as soon as the screen or eye viewer is used it switches on. there is an on/off switch.
On the plus side which far outweigh the negative it is so easy to use and has tremendous mm range. I would not recommend it if I was not highly delighted with what it can do
The flap covering the hotshoe just hangs, so what I did was use a bit of bluetack plastic rubber stuff to hold it as seen above
Extras
First and formost a 55mm UV filter to protect the lens and shutter movement ,it is so close to tghe fromnt of the camcorder.
The Sony stereo microphone ECM-XYST1M (as shown) slide ito contacts on fthe camcorder so no need for extra batteries/power.
Larger batteries as the one that came with it only has about 1 hr run time
I added a 77mm hood as smaller may show up when panning so also a step up ring 55mm to 77mm.
Needs a 128 GB SD card but a 64 will get you by.
If you must have a pistol grip don't get the Sony version with the controls on it get the JJC version instead.

aaxxxxxx.jpg

shown with wireless receiver. Had to bend the bar so the panning arm didn't hit. Like this I can pan/tilt and zoom at the same time using the JJC SR-F2W tran smitter/receiver units

Last edited:
View attachment 321347

This camcorder is amazing it is the Sony FDR-AX53 I know I just bought one. it has an inbuilt floating Gimbal ( check out videos on youtube). learning how to walk heel to toe is the trick to steady videos (up/down movement). You won't find better without the need for a gimbal. It shoots in 4k as well as "normal" mode and the stills, yes it takes those as well are really good.

Downside is if you set one thing like shutter speed everything else get set automatically. Also as soon as the screen or eye viewer is used it switches on. there is an on/off switch.
On the plus side which far outweigh the negative it is so easy to use and has tremendous mm range. I would not recommend it if I was not highly delighted with what it can do
The flap covering the hotshoe just hangs, so what I did was use a bit of bluetack plastic rubber stuff to hold it as seen above
Extras
First and formost a 55mm UV filter to protect the lens and shutter movement ,it is so close to tghe fromnt of the camcorder.
The Sony stereo microphone ECM-XYST1M (as shown) slide ito contacts on fthe camcorder so no need for extra batteries/power.
Larger batteries as the one that came with it only has about 1 hr run time
I added a 77mm hood as smaller may show up when panning so also a step up ring 55mm to 77mm.
Needs a 128 GB SD card but a 64 will get you by.
If you must have a pistol grip don't get the Sony version with the controls on it get the JJC version instead.

View attachment 321365

shown with wireless receiver. Had to bend the bar so the panning arm didn't hit. Like this I can pan/tilt and zoom at the same time using the JJC SR-F2W tran smitter/receiver units

Pretty interesting set up you have going on there. Looks like it's got everything you need. I will certainly go and and have a nosey, on youtube. :)(y)

If it is just for family stuff I use a gimbal that holds my phone, the Zhiyun smooth 4. As phone sensors and tech gets better I can still use it, as opposed to a fixed camera that can't be changed.

If it is just for family stuff I use a gimbal that holds my phone, the Zhiyun smooth 4. As phone sensors and tech gets better I can still use it, as opposed to a fixed camera that can't be changed.
Thanks. :)

This is a good point, if you’ve got a later iPhone the stabilisation is pretty good you can use it handheld! Also there’s a video app that opens up more control but can’t think of it’s name at the moment!

This is a good point, if you’ve got a later iPhone the stabilisation is pretty good you can use it handheld! Also there’s a video app that opens up more control but can’t think of it’s name at the moment!
No, an Android that is a few years old.

Still mulling things over.

I was looking at the Osmo Pocket 2, but reading up on it. But is says you must register the product, and give the company your email, before it will work.
If you do not do this, it will lock you out and it will not work. What a cheek, I certainly won't be buying it!

I was looking at the Osmo Pocket 2, but reading up on it. But is says you must register the product, and give the company your email, before it will work.
If you do not do this, it will lock you out and it will not work. What a cheek, I certainly won't be buying it!
Don't worry about that you can use an anonymous gmail address?
The way they work depends on an app for some settings at setup stage., and you can use that like a monitor too.
The Osmo Pocket sounds like exactly what you were looking for at modest cost.

The more serious camera gimbals are more trouble than they are worth and quite tricky to set up.
You can get small versions to carry a phone but one of the best are from DJI so will want you to register again :LOL:
If you are comfortable with using a phone for video that's a good option for more serious video sequences.

Don't worry about that you can use an anonymous gmail address?
The way they work depends on an app for some settings at setup stage., and you can use that like a monitor too.
The Osmo Pocket sounds like exactly what you were looking for at modest cost.

The more serious camera gimbals are more trouble than they are worth and quite tricky to set up.
You can get small versions to carry a phone but one of the best are from DJI so will want you to register again :LOL:
If you are comfortable with using a phone for video that's a good option for more serious video sequences.

I did like the look of the Osmo stuff, I know I could use a different email. But still think it's a cheek, forcing you to do something, after paying for it too. ;)

I have seen some YouTube Vloggers using a small Camcorder, fixed on a handheld tripod/ Gimbal and the video is lovely smooth and just gliding through the air.

It all depends. With some practice you can get great results handheld, especially with cameras that have in body stabilzation. Gimbals help a lot but cannot compensate up and down motion when you're walking, that needs practice. If you want something a bit more organic than super smooth gimbal then look at glidecams; these also need practice. My personal favorite is glidecam with steadicam vest and arm (helps a lot with the up and down) plus gimbal. But that is complicated and costly. There is also the possibility to try and smooth the motion in the video editing software, if there's a lot of footage this will be time consuming.

Regarding gimbals, you've probably seen all the reviews. FWIW I'm using the Zhiyun Crane 2 which is well able to carry a DSLR.

It all depends. With some practice you can get great results handheld, especially with cameras that have in body stabilzation. Gimbals help a lot but cannot compensate up and down motion when you're walking, that needs practice. If you want something a bit more organic than super smooth gimbal then look at glidecams; these also need practice. My personal favorite is glidecam with steadicam vest and arm (helps a lot with the up and down) plus gimbal. But that is complicated and costly. There is also the possibility to try and smooth the motion in the video editing software, if there's a lot of footage this will be time consuming.

Regarding gimbals, you've probably seen all the reviews. FWIW I'm using the Zhiyun Crane 2 which is well able to carry a DSLR.

I have tried using the Canon G7X for video, and when IS is off video is very jerky, then tried in Continuous and Standard IS, and Standard seems to give the best results. Still a little jerky, but nowhere near as bad when IS off. ;) (y)

Thanks.

Back