Beginner Camera is sticky to touch

Name
Charles.
Edit My Images
Yes
Any ideas what has caused this and how to clean it? I have checked the battery and it is clean.

Last edited:
Fujifilm finepix HS 50 exr
Looks like it has the same sort of covering as the Nikons. Is it just the rubberised area? Probably this stuff degrades a little over time, maybe depending on how the camera is stored and what it's in contact with.

As above. Whats it stored in? Sounds like chemical reaction.
Polish it off ( it will go) and store it differently.

Was it new or used

Had this on a couple of items, case for an Arctic Butterfly was one of them.
Make a paste with water and bicarbonate of soda, rub it in then then clean off.

I use Isopropanol to clean lots of things (it's a good disinfectant too), diluted to around 60 - 70% with de-ionised water.

I would agree with MartynK's post above, and have for convenience used small tear open sachets containing a cloth soaked in 99% IPA. Has the camera been used near the sea? Salt spray in the air can leave a camera sticky, plus needs to be cleaned off before it causes damage.

My new to me Nikon suffered the same sticky problem. I used lens cleaning tissues and they worked a treat, no more sticky feeling.

I call this the Sigma Stigma. Obviously it's not just Sigma, a handful of brands dabbled with this rubberised skin in the 90s or thereabouts. Then 10 years later this happens.

I've had limited success with isopropryl alcohol (surgical spirits, IPA - not to be confused with India Pale Ale). A word of advice though: beware of using soft tissues, whether you're treating with alcohol or just doing nothing but wiping it with the tissue. Soft tissues will just add bits of unremovable tissue to the existing mess.

Maybe instead use cheapo copier paper, paper that has that sheen to it. Or cheapo cheesecloth criss-crossed with blue lines, that has that sheen to it. These materials are less likely to rub off onto the sticky barrel.

Let me know if Betron does the job (post #2 of this thread).

Last edited:
Thanks for all your info. I will try these remedies tomorrow and get back to you all on what results come up. Thank you all once again and look forward to the forum.

I call this the Sigma Stigma. Obviously it's not just Sigma, a handful of brands dabbled with this rubberised skin in the 90s or thereabouts. Then 10 years later this happens.

I've had limited success with isopropryl alcohol (surgical spirits, IPA - not to be confused with India Pale Ale). A word of advice though: beware of using soft tissues, whether you're treating with alcohol or just doing nothing but wiping it with the tissue. Soft tissues will just add bits of unremovable tissue to the existing mess.

Maybe instead use cheapo copier paper, paper that has that sheen to it. Or cheapo cheesecloth criss-crossed with blue lines, that has that sheen to it. These materials are less likely to rub off onto the sticky barrel.

Let me know if Betron does the job (post #2 of this thread).
I'm guessing the Betron cleaner won't do much if IPA has already failed. A few applications of it and a period of open airing worked well on the back of my F100 (oddly, the front grips aren't affected). My old D70 has a more serious case (all the grips are tacky) and it was much less effective. It would probably be a good camera to experiment on with serious IPA treatment. I've also seen these products mentioned:

Back