camera setting no focus when attached to telescope

Name
gary
Edit My Images
Yes
A friend of mine asked my what camera setting to use with his telescope. He has a nikon 1 camera with t2 mount but cant get anything to focus or see anything . Not sure on the telescope itself .
I know he has to be in manual but thats all?
does he still use his telescope to focus or the camera ? really feel sorry for the guy he has bought an expensive telescope and a camera but is loosing heart. Im sure someone has gone through this.
cheers

The telescope is effectively the lens, so he should be using the telescope's focussing knob. TBH, he's probably best talking to the shop he bought the set up from, they should be able to advise him as to how to get the best from the whole rig.

As Nod said the telescope is the focus, make sure that he's putting an eye piece from the telescope into the T2 (I spent ages trying to work out why when the T2 adapter was on my camera there was no pictures showing and I then worked out that I should be putting a eye piece into the T2 before attaching to camera) and then try and use the moon as the point of focus as it is so big.

If he can't get any focus, the chances are that he will need to buy a Barlow lens. This effectively doubles the focal length of the telescope, but it will also allow the camera to gain focus as it moves the plain of focus further from the telescope. I have to use on for my 450D. The only issue is that your field of view becomes narrower.

Back