Camera v Flashmeter .....

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,
Been reading a bit on off camera manual flash.
Have come across this comment on a regular basis.

"Don't splash out on a flashmeter use your camera to meter the flashlight"

Could anyone explain how this is done to a complete newbie with a 450D. !!!!

Thanks in advance .....

I think they might mean to measure ambiant light not flash light or else theres some magical feature on the camera i dont know about...

they're talking about taking a shot, looking at a screen and adjusting as necessary, something not possible with film. It's cheaper than buying a flashmeter but not necessarily quicker.

Technically it's not metering as a camera can't meter for a flash exposure (manual flash, we're not talking about any form of ttl).

Which is precicely why I'll still use a meter :)

I have one for studio shots and the medium format anyway so it's handy.

A meter need not cost the earth, you can pick up a weston meter on ebay for not a lot so I don't get why anyone would want to mess about with trial and error when you can set the shot up right first time with a simple and relatively cheap bit of kit.

You also learn more about technique that way than just changing settings till it looks right. What are you going to change? Flash power? Shutter speed? Aperture? and why? If you have metered your flash and keep that constant, keep the same aperture and change the shutter speed it's just so much easier. :) I'd rather be working with one variable than several at once. (My brain just hurts then) :)

I must say, having got my hands on a flash meter the other week for a quick bit of studio work, it's a refreshing different way of working and feels good when you get the exposure bang on first time; well, I say that, I still chimped and hummed and ahh'd over them :p Old habits die hard

Back