Can a .TIFF file be processed more than a .jpeg

Edit My Images
Yes
Hello all,

I've noticed that some processors give you a option of your film scans being processed in a different file types normally .tiff or Jpeg why is a tiff file seen to be different than a .jpeg and cost more ? Is it something like a .raw file equivalent ?

Cheers all.

TIFF files are usually 16 bits. That means 64K pieces of information. Jpgs are 8 bit. That means 256 pieces of information. If working in black and white (which I do) it's normal to stretch or compress the tonal range. The more bits you have to play with, the fewer gaps in the histogram afterwards. Which translates to smoother tonal transition.

Jpg is a "lossy" format, meaning information is discarded to improve compression.

Last edited:
Haven't read it, but thanks. I could probably have saved time :)

Thanks very much, So it is most likely a good idea to pay the extra on images I've put some real effort into to get the best out.

Thanks very much, So it is most likely a good idea to pay the extra on images I've put some real effort into to get the best out.
I don't think Filmdev charge extra for TIFFS do they?

But if you get Fuji scans at Filmdev you can only get 8-bit TIFFs. I did a thread earlier demonstrating to my satisfaction that 8-bit TIFFs were no better than JPEGs when opened, adjusted slightly and saved 10 times over. (I think you might well see the difference with more extreme adjustments, like inverting a negative, for instance.) I think the Noritsu scanner is the default at Filmdev, certainly for black and white (though I heard that's off the menu at the moment), but they do deliver 16-bit TIFFs.

A 16-bit TIFF is likely many times bigger than a JPEG for most scenes, and you'll "pay" for that in download times and disk space...

I don't think Filmdev charge extra for TIFFS do they?

But if you get Fuji scans at Filmdev you can only get 8-bit TIFFs. I did a thread earlier demonstrating to my satisfaction that 8-bit TIFFs were no better than JPEGs when opened, adjusted slightly and saved 10 times over. (I think you might well see the difference with more extreme adjustments, like inverting a negative, for instance.) I think the Noritsu scanner is the default at Filmdev, certainly for black and white (though I heard that's off the menu at the moment), but they do deliver 16-bit TIFFs.

A 16-bit TIFF is likely many times bigger than a JPEG for most scenes, and you'll "pay" for that in download times and disk space...
Are FilmDev happy to give you 16-bit large Noritsu tiffs from a whole film? That must be over 6 GB.

Back