Can anyone ID this Please?

Name
Lorraine
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

I came across this a coupe of weeks ago. It was round, about the size of a 1p coin in diameter and stuck to a leaf. I think it might be an egg case, but I'm not really sure

View attachment 13495

Does anybody have any idea what it is?

wow - thank you both! It had been a while since I posted it and I'd given up on the ID. Certainly looks like that's the thig - the case almost looked woven.

Cheers

Dem

wow - thank you both! It had been a while since I posted it and I'd given up on the ID. Certainly looks like that's the thig - the case almost looked woven.

Cheers

Dem

Yeah it's a cool structure :) The one in my pic was just on the underside of a piece of roof on my parents house in Canada. I took some pics and showed my dad but he wasn't as impressed. He got a broom and knocked it off the roof lol :)

I got another shot a bit later when I was happy the large wasp was gone! Guess it had some potential kids inside :E

Paperhex Rose by Phal44, on Flickr

Certainly looks like that's the thig - the case almost looked woven.

Cheers

Dem
The nest is built from Wasp spit and chewed wood.
(Fence panels, garden furniture, dead tree's and the like.)

The Queen (wood wasp) builds the nest, lays half a dozen (or so) eggs, and continues to build the nest.
When they hatch she feeds the grubs.
When they are big enough to fly, they then feed the queen and continue the building,
leaving the queen free to continue laying eggs.

By the end of a season (September-ish, weather dependant) an average nest can contain up to 5000 wasps, eggs & grubs (all in)

The nest is built from Wasp spit and chewed wood.
(Fence panels, garden furniture, dead tree's and the like.)

The Queen (wood wasp) builds the nest, lays half a dozen (or so) eggs, and continues to build the nest.
When they hatch she feeds the grubs.
When they are big enough to fly, they then feed the queen and continue the building,
leaving the queen free to continue laying eggs.

By the end of a season (September-ish, weather dependant) an average nest can contain up to 5000 wasps, eggs & grubs (all in)

wow - you have to admire the achievement, even if you're not a fan of wasps - like me. I wonder if this will get to that size - it was on a very low growing plant, but then it is in private grounds that only open to the public
once or twice a year

Back