"Can I get a copy of those shots?" Sure, why not...

Name
Pete
Edit My Images
No
So I met the director of Nutkhut last night as her group performed Bollywood Steps in Liverpool. It was a really good performance, and I don't really like Bollywood. She asked if she could get a copy of the pics and as I'm such a nice guy I said yes. She said she would credit me on the site. Oddly she asked for them at 300dpi, and I agreed. However when I sat in my car I thought "300dpi, for a website? Haaaaang on." So having agreed to give her the images I can't just turn up and go "ok missy, gimme some money or the cd gets it." So I guess I'll just hand over the CD and say if they ever need a photographer, which they won't as they just ask people on the street, to gimme a call. I was very disapointed in myself for again caving to a pretty face. Dam you!

you agreed to give her a ' copy ' of the images,

but you didnt agree she could use them for any type of reproduction without your permission and or copyright fee's;)

make that clear in a ' readme ' file on the cd, written on the cd, and if you wish , copyright ( watermark )each image

MyPix:)

Why dont you just give her the CD at 72 DPI and play as dumb as she wants you to be 'Oooh sorry, I thought you said pics for a website ... but if you want to talk business ...'
Thats what Id do anyway!

Well she said for the site, which is fine. I guess its the 300dpi bit which is odd. Print resolution.

Make sure she know that you'll sue her pretty ass off if she uses printed images without a credit to yourself on the image.
publicity is always good.

Give her the pics but in 72 not 300dpi. If she comes back to you later on and asks for the hi res versions again simply tell her the truth and say you are protecting your copyright. If she wants the images for anything other than her website she'll need to pay a decent price.

You have no need to feel guilty, it's her who's looking for something for nothing!

/edit. Inaglo beat me to it but I'd like to add, it will be a lot easier for you to protect your work if you don't give her the hi res shots than for you try and sue if she abuses your copyright in them.

I just wish I had the confidence to tell people face to face, no. I should take an emergency shot of whisky out with me. ;)

or do all of the above.

Include on the CD both 72dpi AND heavily watermarked 300 dpi or better.

As I mentioned in another post, put your copyright info in the file info section in ps. whilst it won't stop them making prints it will stop certain publishes from using them without your consent.

There would be no confrontation m8 (all you'd need to do is walk away) she wants something from you remember so she's not going to be nasty.

Gary Bagshawe said:
As I mentioned in another post, put your copyright info in the file info section in ps. whilst it won't stop them making prints it will stop certain publishes from using them without your consent.

Yeah I've already got that in, hopefully. I add it each time I import photos into Aperture.

surely, just 300ppi at 1 inch x 2inches or something, and drop the filesize/compression down to the 160k we use here. She won't be able to use them for anything other than internet then.

She said 300dpi, she never said how big she wanted the images!

watermarked images pete, with a readme on the cd offering unwatermarked 300dpi at £XX per piccy.

well done on the sale

The only reason someone would ask for 300 dpi is so they could get them printed.

She certainly knows what she was doing, and is trying to take advantage.
There's nothing stopping you from changing your mind, and letting her have them at a lower res & dpi.

I agree, give here the CD with just 72dpi's and stick your contact details on etc. and costings for the 300's if she wants them. At the end of the day your a bloddy good photographer, who like everyone else wants to make a living doing that or any other trade for that matter. If she knows you aren't a push over and she likes what you've done she'll come back if she does need them at a higher res. As you and other peeps here have said 'don't sell youself short' :rules:

I'd do what Glen and others have steered towards, basically give her the web resolution versions with info on how to arrange a deal for the higher resolution images.

She said for web use, and we all know that 300dpi is far to big for that - if she doesnt want to play honest by you dont worry about being honest with yourself. If she genuinely want these images for something more serious then you can talk terms (may mean a cost, or a gesture of publicity/promotion) but nonetheless your not giving her work she would otherwise have to pay for. If she gets funny about it you've not gained anything, but neither has she;), also make it clear that for higher res images you need some kind of recompense as this is your bread & butter income (being a pro photographer and all:) ).

I gave her a cd with 300dpi shots on resized to 700px wide watermarked in my usual style. I forgot to put on the CD that if she wants high-resolution ones then we can talk. I lucked out as I wasn't allowed up to speak to her so I just got someone to run up and get her to sign the license saying "Web use only, not for print or promotional usage." I imagine she'll get in contact once she looks at the cd and sees that they're not "hi-def" and that she can't use them for everything.

petemc said:
I lucked out as I wasn't allowed up to speak to her.

Any particular reason for that? That would have made me walk away personally. If you're not in the right 'circles' to be allowed up to speak to her, then that's her loss.

Marcel said:
Any particular reason for that? That would have made me walk away personally. If you're not in the right 'circles' to be allowed up to speak to her, then that's her loss.

She was preparing for the performance.

Ahhh, the way you wrote it, it sounded like the 'don't let the peasants near the royal box' type scenario. If that makes sense.

Marcel said:
Ahhh, the way you wrote it, it sounded like the 'don't let the peasants near the royal box' type scenario. If that makes sense.

Yeah I see what you mean :)

Ah well, NVM, let's hope she sees sense and realises she can't take the **** out of you...300DPI for web use indeed :p

Back