Can I get a long screw?

Edit My Images
Yes
It is for a wrist problem.

I have an Optech grip strap which fastens into the thread under the camera body. I expected the screw would be threaded for attaching a tripod as cheaper ones have this, but it seems I was wrong.

What I want to do is attach a Manfrotto RC2 quick release plate under it, but obviously the screw on this is not long enough to pass through the base of the strap and into the body.

Does anyone know if it possible to buy a longer screw that would let me do that?

It only needs to be 1/8" or so longer that the standard one, and obviously needs to be flat enough for the plate to fit on a tripod head. If not for that reason I reckon the screw on the strap might have worked.

Odd question and I am not optimistic, but less chance of finding out if I do not ask!

Michael.

Any good hardware store should be able to help, it's either a 1/4" or 3/8" unc you need, the only problem is you will probably have to cut the screw to length, alternatively have you tried a camera shop they might have something on the shelf.

Agreed.
a local fasteners place (yell) or good hardware shop should be able to sort you out.
Just take the one you have now and explain what it is you need.
Be prepared to pay for it though.... might even have to take a pound with you. ;)

As Chris says, you'll need 1/4" UNC (or BSW). The only problem may be the depth of the bolt head. You should be able to get either a hex head or setscrew (Allen key type), but these may need to be adapted. If you were closer to Yorkshire I'd be happy to do it, but if necessary a small engineering firm with a lathe should be able to help, and cut a slot or knurl it so it's like the original.

I never even thought that it would be possible as a DIY option. Well, getting someone else to do it. Thanks for the tip.

Michael.

Back