Can i get some critique here please ?

Name
Brad 'Electron-Don' Foster
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi guys, im not sure if i should post this here, or in the critique section, its a video so im not sure.

I'm looking for some feedback on short i have produced with footage from a recent trip to southern Sumatra.

I did not put in enough effort i feel, on my part to capture better footage, and i only had a GoPro and a fiji compact (which although having 10x zoom will not hold a focus past 3x) I am not looking at a 600D so on next trips i can do some real focus work and be more involved in the filming process, instead of grabbing the gopro and just playing around wit it.

It will also be a chapter in a complete Sri Lanka and Indonesia surf/travel film

Any how, enough excuses, have a look and tell me what you think.

Thanks

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B16TuPvWSZxVTkJiQ3RmbFF5UkE/edit?usp=sharing

Over all I liked it , but some of the cuts at the front with the white flash I think would have been better with just a simple wipe, the flash was too in your face but maybe thats just me,
it looks like you guys had a great time out there :)

anyway all in all its a good effort .......

thanks man, another guy said that the white flashes were a bit weird so mane ill have a go at it with out them

thanks man, another guy said that the white flashes were a bit weird so mane ill have a go at it with out them

It's always tricky to crit somebody's work when your not sure what the intended audience is or what that creator was trying to achieve but for what it's worth.

I would lose the white flashes, they're not weird but it's a fairly common transition and in this case they add nothing and you don't need them.

Beware of over-using the 'film effect', it's way too obvious and makes it look like you'd like to use film but don't know how, if you want it to look like Super 8 buy a Super 8 camera and do it properly.

Apart from that it has a really nice flow, rhythm and feel to it, some of the surf shots go on a bit and would be improved by breaking them up a bit but overall I liked it, do more and try and develop your own style.

thanks raglan, i don't have alot of surf footage, as im always in the water not filming, most shots of surfing are done on a crappy compact my my missus when its too big for her.

i tried to use the film effect to cover up the fact the quality is bad, due to bad focus and just a **** camera in general. im getting a 600d and will travel next time with that and my 22-250mm, just as its small to travel with. that with the 600d digital zoom at 3x should give me a good compromise between clarity and range, i hope anyway.

As for intended audience i have never really thought that far ahead. i know i need to start planning a video before i start shooting, in stead of just grabbing the camera and shooting what happens along the way, sure some of that is great but also need to focus a little more on what i want tit to be about.

thanks raglan, i don't have alot of surf footage, as im always in the water not filming, most shots of surfing are done on a crappy compact my my missus when its too big for her.

i tried to use the film effect to cover up the fact the quality is bad, due to bad focus and just a **** camera in general. im getting a 600d and will travel next time with that and my 22-250mm, just as its small to travel with. that with the 600d digital zoom at 3x should give me a good compromise between clarity and range, i hope anyway.

As for intended audience i have never really thought that far ahead. i know i need to start planning a video before i start shooting, in stead of just grabbing the camera and shooting what happens along the way, sure some of that is great but also need to focus a little more on what i want tit to be about.

I look forward to seeing the results from your 600D, it should help you out a lot. As far as planning goes I think it's great to have an idea of what you want to achieve, if you can think what would make an interesting video not only to you but to others that don't have an emotional attachment then you're halfway there. Otherwise it's just a record of what you've done and where you've been, which is fine if that's what you're after.

The white flashes need checking before you distribute that video. I reckon they're fast and bright enough to cause some people serious problems.

From ITU-R BT.1702:

A potentially harmful flash occurs when there is a pair of opposing changes in luminance (i.e. an increase in luminance followed by a decrease, or a decrease followed by an increase) of 20 cd/m2 or more

Like everything on TP it is subjective, as for me? I loved it(y) a variety of sequences telling a story without being long and boring, some great fun aspects added into it. A great soundtrack included, totaly entertaining imho even the Crab at the end played a great part, hope you paid it well and never ate it :LOL: What software did you use, and also what was the name of the last track?

Hi Brad,

Really like the content, holds attention to the end, which is a challenge in itself with shorts longer than around 2 - 2.5 minutes.

As already said, way too much use of effects "just because you can", you could easily tell the story without using a single effect, use your effects sparingly and, look at whether those effects add to the story or, just make viewers focus on the effects rather than the content.

I also liked the music, great choice which blends well with the visuals.

Back