Can old film be successfully developed?

Name
daniel
Edit My Images
Yes
I have a Canon A-1 that was given to a family member probably 30 plus years ago, which was given to me about 10 years ago. It came with a used roll of Fujicolor Super G Plus. I have no idea how old the film is, it's been stored in a black container inside a suitcase. How likely after all this time is it that the film could be successfully developed? I would love to know what is on there.

Thanks.

Well, it could be developed, no doubt about it. I think the results can be mixed depending on how good the person is developing it. Definitely worth a go though. The trick would be talking to said person and making sure they understand what is required. I'm in a similar boat. I have a couple of rolls of old Agfa film I want to get developed.

I was given an Olympus OM2n recently along with some expired film.

Just had the first film back from processing and I'm surprised as its expiry date was 1995.

Probably depends on how it was stored but mine hadn't been in the freezer ever.

Horse Busker-1Sm.jpg

Wow, cool photo. Does the film have a date on it? I had a look but I couldn't see a date.

If I get it developed, it'll be sending it away online as I don't think there is anywhere in South Wales, unless somebody knows a place.

There is the likes of Jessops and Max Spielman, don't know how good they are?

Thanks.

There's Exposure film lab in Hereford. They might be able to do it for you. Matt, the owner, is very good.

I wouldn't use Jessops or Max Spielman for an old film like this (or, personally, for any film developing). Use a dedicated lab and explain the circumstances to them so they can process it accordingly.
That's what I thought.

There's Exposure film lab in Hereford. They might be able to do it for you. Matt, the owner, is very good.
Not worth the drive, but maybe worth posting.

Wow, cool photo. Does the film have a date on it? I had a look but I couldn't see a date.

If I get it developed, it'll be sending it away online as I don't think there is anywhere in South Wales, unless somebody knows a place.

There is the likes of Jessops and Max Spielman, don't know how good they are?

Thanks.
@cardiff_gareth would be your local man with the knowledge. so hopefully he'll be along soon.

I was given an Olympus OM2n recently along with some expired film.

Just had the first film back from processing and I'm surprised as its expiry date was 1995.

Probably depends on how it was stored but mine hadn't been in the freezer ever.

View attachment 403784

Just one tip though. Don't look at this photo on your phone in the early hours of the morning. :eek:

@cardiff_gareth would be your local man with the knowledge. so hopefully he'll be along soon.

@dan00001 Express Imaging on City Road can develop both 35mm and 120 C41 colour film within the hour on site. They also stock film in store. They also can develop black and white although it takes longer to do. If you like they can also scan negs in as high res tiffs and email a link to you so you can download them. The place is ran by a man called Dave Horne who used to work in Jessops with me many moons ago. He knows the ins and out of nearly all cameras and has a nice second hand cabinet there also.

Back