Can someone explain what this actually means please

dod

TPer Emeritus
Name
Ebenezer McScrooge III
Edit My Images
Yes
I've been spending a lot of time managing my motox site lately and just had a look at the stats tonight. I don't really understand what all this is though, what's the significance of the stats??

stats.jpg

Hope this helps :)

stats.jpg

Nice, I'm lucky if I get 5 visits a day. Bloody google!

Just be aware that the number of hits can be greatly distorted by mis-directed traffic, bots, spiders and all sorts of web creepy crawlies and network traffic ;)

Mind you, my ISP would cry if I had 1.6Gb of bandwidth usage!

thats a lot of traffic really, my work site has oddles but then it would do, this site has stacks of traffic too, very impressive to look at actually, especially given that we are basically off radar from google(though we have been extensively crawled, so its not looking bad at all)

Slightly off topic, but does anybody know anything about googles page rankings?

I understand that their spiders basicaly ignore keywords, but will look at links, headers, keywords in content etc.

Basicaly, I'm looking for tips on search engine optimisation as I'm about to invest in a proper hosted and designed web-site with the facility to purchase prints on it and google is still the main tool for finding stuff alas.

cheers steep :)

Got plenty bandwidth left yet Gandhi ;) There was over 2Gb a month on the old gallery according to plusnet so made sure I had a bit in reserve.

If the numbers of hits can be distorted is the visitor numbers a more reliable figure to judge how popular it is, or does it include all those creepy crawlie things too?

Gandhi said:

I understand that their spiders basicaly ignore keywords, but will look at links, headers, keywords in content etc.

Basicaly, I'm looking for tips on search engine optimisation as I'm about to invest in a proper hosted and designed web-site with the facility to purchase prints on it and google is still the main tool for finding stuff alas.

Yes they do but it is worth putting some in for other search engines. google looks at inbound links (quality not link farms) also heading tags and bold/italic, the position of your keywords on the page (nearer to the top and to the left the better. Description tag but not too many words as you dilute the importance of them. keyword density alt tags, and if you can put all your javascript into a file and call it from there it makes it easier for the spider to find what it needs.(y)

Gandhi said:

Edit, sorry Gary, I didn't read down, and then the phone rang, then the door, time passed... doh.

Yes. I know. :)

Spiders don't ignore keywords its more the information gathered is of less importance.

Any basic web hosting upwards is fine as far as I know, and you must have the ability to mount an html based main/home/index page, which I’m fairly sure is normal for all hosting packages.
It’s this page where you can start to feed the spiders. What you feed them and how it’s fed to them, is the real key to getting found and therefore improving your ranking.

Is it a general photography site, or is their theme or type. It’s always a good idea to separate yourself from the masses...Google likes individuals. ;)

My business site is often at the top of Googles first page, if your searching for my services. :D oh yeah baby. :geek: :LOL:

Gandhi said:

Got me thinking as well

http://googlerankings.com/basic.php

dod said:
If the numbers of hits can be distorted is the visitor numbers a more reliable figure to judge how popular it is, or does it include all those creepy crawlie things too?

Well my visitor counter does, I guess its counting different IPs. I tend to reduce the visitor count by at least 40% to get nearer to the real visitor count.

Mines about half of yours.:D...perhaps even less. You've got a good count their dod. (y)

Thanks for the info guys!

Will do some further research and have a tweak here and there.

My page ranking is currently 2 btw!

And that's just for the index page

Thanks for the info guys!

Will do some further research and have a tweak here and there.

My page ranking is currently 2 btw!

And that's just for the index page

Wow, nice gallery, some stunning work there Spencer. :notworthy:

The leaves, oh the leaves...the egg, the rust, so good...and the landscapes, oh yes, top stuff.

...I've got such a long way to go to get near to a gallery like that. :(

On a lighter note; :D , your google food is crap. :D ;)

Dods link is great by the way, but I'll try and give you an idea as to what I would do;

Google food is simply the words that you have on your pages, but only the words written in html. In case you didn't know, words on images or imbedded in graphics or flash don't get read by search engines. They also like to have easy access to the words, this includes the words being at the top of the page, not halfway down below loads of 'other' code/links...nor those horrible lines of no-break-spaces that you have.
Try align left and right instead, like this; <div align="left"><a href="index.html">Spencer D King</a></div>

These words must also include your keywords. Obviously the site has to look good and work well, so it&#8217;s all one big compromise anyway.

Ideas;
1. Keywords; (You have the word 'photo' too many times and not the word 'photography' at all) phrases are good though. (Even three word phrases)

2. You need a meta description content line; <META NAME="description" CONTENT="The Spencer King professional photography gallery ???">

3. You need a readable heading (In html), like; Welcome this is the Spencer King photography website, surf and enjoy.
Possibly two headings may also be advantageous.
Google also likes the headings surrounded by <h1> or <h2> tags to show there importance as page headings. In fact you should get round to removing all font references on your pages and use the css style sheet instead. You have a reference to a style sheet at the top of the page...but you&#8217;re not using it, as far as I can tell..?? Try putting h2 tags around your name and see what happens....you probably have access to edit that css style sheet somewhere? :shrug:

4. You need readable content, an introduction to your site, your philosophy perhaps...you have nothing, google is down ranking you as a wind up merchant.:eek: :D
This is really an important part of google listing your page well, you need to inform visitors of your content, but more importantly you need to inform the search robot (google or whatever) that the meta tags, description and the headings all match the main content of the page or site.
I'd write a short passage and include my keywords of a rate of 8%. Dods link for more info.

Hopefully, next time google indexes your home page, it'll come away thinking, Oh a photography site all about ... photography...excellent, I couldn't really tell before :D

Hope that helps. I could waffle on for an age. The more visitors you get to your site the higher google may rank you&#8230;.ranking not being as important as actually being found by surfers and buyers.

Ps. your site is only as individual as your keywords&#8230;so choose wisely and minimise the likely competition.

Phew :wipes sweat from brow; Adam

Nice one, cheers for that Ad. I'll have a bit of fiddle with the site over the next few days and see what I can come up with. Got loads of new images to go up too!

Back