can someone spec me some filters

Edit My Images
Yes
hi, I have a fuji S5600zoom i have a polorising filter and a macro filter.
I want a IR filter.
And was thinking of a ND and/or ND grad filter, would i need any otheres?
I like the IR shots, and i like the landscape shots and the stuff like making water look blured, or even like fog like Misah kahn did.
I know my thread is 55mm and seen a hoya IR one for £27
and hoya ND for around £17. But i dont know what strenght ND to get? im a beginner so dont know what i want lol.
But what about NDGrad filters had a look at them and they totally confuse me do i have to get other things like filter holders to use them the whole coking thing just puzzels me.
TIA

Hi there.

For IR, first thing to do is (and don't laugh) get yourself in a dark room and point a remote control for your telly at the camera, press a button and see if you can see any light coming from the remote. Because you have an electronic viewfinder, what you see through it is what the sensor sees. So if you can see any infrared light coming from your remote then it means your camera can see infrared light and you can take IR pics. This is not always possible with all cameras. Some have more or less sensitivity to infrared light.

Next, does your camera have a bulb exposure mode or similar? Reason being is that you're going to need to make exposures of around a minute or more, even on a bright sunny day, as cameras aren't very sensitive to IR so need long exposure times for enough light to fall onto the sensor to generate an image.

If all of the above are correct then a Hoya R72 filter will indeed let you take IR pics.

Generally though, a dSLR will produce much better resukts than a bridge camera.

A straight ND filter wil just cut the amount of light hitting the sensor so you can use longer exposures and get the blurred water effect you're after. A 3 stop or .9 ND is a good place to start.

With ND grads, you will need the filter ring, holder and adaptor in the cokin sytem. Probably the P size, but you may get away with the A size adaptors if you're lucky.

Nd grads come in 2 flavours, soft and hard, which determines the gradation of the colour. Soft for when the horizon line isn't straight (trees, mountains etc) and hard for when the horizon is pretty much straight and flat. Eg at the seaside.

HTH?

Thanks gandhi, i done the darkroom and tv romote test in that past and it works. I dont know what you mean by bulb mode how would i find this out what should i be looking for? This is a link to the spec of my camera http://www.fujifilm.co.uk/digital/cameras/s5600/index.php?page=tech_specs&lpage=/digital/cameras/range.php

So a ND filter will do ok for me :) ill look at the .9 ones

so i ll need to get 3 bits ot use grad filters, whats the difference in the A and P range in laymans terms? Id probably need both hard and soft but will start with soft.

What about other filters any more that i need?

Bulb is an old term used to describe a shutter setting where you dictate how long the shutter is open, not the camera. Eg, you press it once to open and again to close so you can time the exposure yourself. Often over many minutes. I.E. my d200 will do up to 30 second exposures before I need to use bulb mode and tell the camera manually how long I wnt the shutter open. Sorry if that's a bit hard to understand but it's V early lol. Have a google and a bit of a read if you need further clarification.

I've had a bit of look around the web and it seems like the fuji isn't the best camera for IR at all.

Difference in A & P cokins is size.

Other than grads and ND, A circular polarizer would be useful, beyond those though, most effects can be added in photoshop afterwards.

Further reading......

http://www.dimagemaker.com/article.php?articleID=397

Back