Can you convince me not to get a 20D.

S

stepheno

I've started to look around in the DSLR market and I've currently looked very closely at -

Canon 20D, 10D, 350D
Nikon D70
Pentax ist DS
Olympus E300

After much reading, here and elsewhere I've narrowed it down to either the 20D or 350D (lenses being quite a serious consideration). I would go for the 350D but I find it a liitle small and I would go for the 20D but it's 400 odd smackers more money. My heart wants a 20D and if need be I can spend the mullah but can anyone convince me not to?

Codicil 1 - Someone else might say "why not the D70, E300 etc or something totally different".

Codicil 2 - A little bird has said there will be a 30D and when it arrives 20D prices should come down, then it's a no brainer.

All advice and/or experience welcome.

regards

There is no definitive answer other than if the 350D is to small then its a no go option. The D70, 20D are both capable cameras and both should be seriously considered if they are within your budget. Trying them is essential as if they don't feel right you won’t be at easy when using it and your potential for getting those good results will always be hampered.

I hate all this Canon is better than Nikon, Nikon is better than Canon rubbish, they are both excellent camera's that will meet and exceed the requirements of most people, but are made by two different companies. Don't forget that both of them have made photography equipment for many years and both know what they are doing.

The 30D or whatever the 20D's replacement will be has not been announced yet, it may be around the corner or it may be months away. What you need to ask yourself though is how many pictures you might miss by waiting until it appears, personally if you are ready to buy now then make an informed decision and choice from what is available now, try before you buy and be happy with your new camera.

One last thing that may help you decide between brands is that whichever you buy you are buying into that manufacturers brand and accessories as well, lenses, batteries, cable releases, remotes, etc. Sure there are third party companies that make for both but look at the accessories as well, get the big picture first.

Hope that helps :)

Thanks for an informative answer Steve. The D70 is I'm sure a very capable camera and I honestly don't think any of them make a bad DSLR but, as you have said, I will be making a long term commitment, particularly with lenses, which is why I'm leaning to Canon.

You're certainly right about not waiting - that could be forever. It's just that this will be my first and probably last DSLR and I want to be as right as I possibly can be. Thanks - at the moment all informed input is a great help.

regards

I would first off agree with Steve WRT what feels best being a factor you should consider.
If the 20D is within your financial budget then go for it. But first I would make sure you intend to use the full potential of the camera.
Being a n00b myself, I wouldn't take too much of what I say as gospel though, so the standard internet disclaimer applies (as it usually does with me :D).
There are a number of marked differences between the 20d and the 350d, but it depends whether A: Those differences matter to you or not, and B: The price difference is justified and also within your budget.

If budget is too much of an issue, then I personally would plump for the 350. But if I could afford it, and intended to take my photography to a level that would make use of it, then I would buy the 20.

Regards

If you can afford the 20D then buy it you won't regret it. Or consider the 350D with the battery grip which makes it a fair bit bigger and better to hold. I own the 300D and had to buy the grip to make it comfortable for my big hands.

You may want to wait and see what the next generation Nikons will be like though....

If your looking for a long term commitment and you can afford it, I would have thought the 20D would be the way to go.

Most of the reviews seem to put the D70 on equal par with the 350D with the balance sometimes tipping towards the 350D feature and image quality wise, but always against the 350D size and handling wise.

I have the 350D and absolutely love it, but I have never owned any other DSLR so the size isn't an issue, and with the BG-E3 battery grip the size is even less of an issue, but at £100-ish narrows the gap between that set up and the 20d pricewise.

With 3 kids and another on the way, I had to make the decision that would allow me to buy further lenses sooner rather than later.

If you were to even consider the 350D I would say it was essential you pick one up and play with it in a shop, preferably with a long lens.

You will know instantly if it is for you or not.

My only personal criticism of the 350D is the light plasticy finish of the body although it makes no difference to the shots I take.

Hope this helps!

This sort of thing is an emotional decision, not a logical one. You've already set your heart on a 20D, to get less is going to end up with you feeling dissatisfied and wishing you had upgraded.

I'm not trying to be silly here, but as "It's just that this will be my first and probably last DSLR" it seems to make sense to me to get the one you really want.

I've always owned flagship Nikon film SLRs. I have the 20D and can honestly say that build quality does not disappoint at any level in comparison with those cameras. The 20D is a bargain in my honest opinion compared to what I paid for some of those film cameras. You can't win the 'keeping up' game and you shouldn't try - there'll always be a newer better camera around the corner. Anyone who currently has a 10D probably would be hard pressed to find a good reason to upgrade to the 20D despite the improvements. I'm sure the same will be true with the 30D or whatever they decide to call it.

Live a little - walk on the wild side and get the camera you want, particularly if you intend to have it for a long time, you'll regret it if you don't. ;)

And I think that makes 1000 posts. :thankyous

WOW - some really good replies and reasoning.

Steep - You may want to wait and see what the next generation Nikons will be like though... thanks but I'll be waiting forever. Bachs - appreciate your feelings about your 350. Bod - very logical.

Dod - you've come from the point which is really at the back of my mind. It is an emotional decision. Thanks all and

regards

So what have you decided on or is it still a battle in progress?

It will be a 20D. Thanks to all who contributed to the thread. I think CT's comments really clinched it - thanks mate. It'll be a few weeks before I get it though. I've a holiday coming up so after that I'll scrape together the readies. Gives me a bit of time to source the best deal and think about which lens

Plus,for the hols, I think I'd rather have a camera that I know what I'm doing with.

regards

Well, if Canon giddy up and announce something soon about their new toy, you never know, you may see the prices start to drop.

This afternoon I ordered a 20D from Jessops along with a Tamron 18-200 Di-II :D (the kit) and :icon_eek: (the mullah). I went in with an internet quote which they half matched. To help make up the difference they'll give me 15% of the lens price. I could have saved more by buying both off the internet but I feel happier buying from a local store that I can go back to with any problems. I did, out of curiosity, try out the 350D but the handgrip and the camera is just too small for me.

In respect of previous posts a big thanks to all who contributed - whether you made the decision harder or easier. The next stage now looms - how to learn to use both the camera and the lens. Plenty questions a coming.

regards

well done Stephano, im looking forward to seeing the shots you produce with it!

Wise choice IMHO Stephano.

Don't you just hate the agonizing wait for your new toy?

ENJOY!

Bachs said:
Don't you just hate the agonizing wait for your new toy?
ENJOY!
You said it :shock: I'm getting withdrawal symptoms before I've got it.

regards

I got it. Picked up 20D and Tamron 18-200 at Jessops on Saturday. Awesome machine :icon_eek: . Now the learning curve really starts.

regards

Back