can you identify please

Name
david
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi Guys.

You've been a great help to me identifying my late freinds darkroom stuff but I'm lost on this one.

I've come accross this lens which is obviously off an old camera.

Can anybody please identify it so that, if it's worth it, I can stick it on eBay and somebody might benefit.

It might be as rare as rocking horse droppings or you might just say throw it away, I don't know.

The main body is 2 1/4" accross and 1/2" thick.
The threaded bit on the back is 1 1/4" accross.
The overall thickness is 1 3/8"

The wording round the lens says:
ALDIS ANASTIGMAT F/6 No2 5.75 IN FOCUS No107342
The lever that alters the size of the 'eye' has got the numbers:
45 32 23 16 11 8 F/6
The little dial on the side is marked:
GENERAL 5 10 25 50 100 B T.

The shutter seems to work ok in that it 'flashes' open and closed whan you press the lever on the munbers and it stays open on the B and T.

The photo's:

SDC11330.jpg

SDC11331.jpg

Looks like it has probably come off a plate/large format camera.

I'm not an expert but with brass protusion at the back it looks very similat to the lenses I have picked up for my 4x5 camera.

it's possible that the number '2' perhaps suggest that it would fit a Copal number 2 lens board.

I'm sure somebody will be along with far greater knowledge than I have.

Hi Nick.

The brass protusion (on the right in the bottom photo) is the front of the lens.

Hi Nick.

The brass protusion (on the right in the bottom photo) is the front of the lens.

Of course it is, I feel such a fool:bang:

A closer look at the thread at the protusion on the left tells me the same thing :LOL:

I've got an old folding camera with a very similar lens. It's probably come off something like this:
DSC09697.jpg

When I looked for values of the complete camera and lens that i had it wasn't much. maybe £20... It's not identical though, so it might be different in value.

The No. 2 Aldis seems to have been an off-the-shelf lens used for a wide variety of plate cameras fitted in combinatio with a wide variety of shutters. There's one at the bottom of this page andit turns up as options on various Houghtons, Kodaks, etc.

Back