Can you use a mic stand instead of a flash stand?

Name
Richard
Edit My Images
Yes
Im pretty sure I used to have a couple mic stands but I cant remember if they have the same tops as light stands. They are not in the house so I cant check.
I had a look around but couldnt find any info and was wondering if anyone has tried before.

Mic stands are available with either 5/8" or 3/8" thread (or both using thread adaptors) ... sadly being a newbie im not sure what thread the flash stands have.

Thanks

I suppose the limitation is that the mic stands wont go very high.

Another quick question if thats ok.
Are these Shoot through umbrellas and are they any good?

In theory it should work (I thought about doing the same) but I think that you are going to have to compare the flash head to the mike stand. I would only use the stand if the base has quite a wide spread as the flash head is a lot heavier than a mike so it could potentially be less stable.

The mike stand we have here has a much different fitting to the interfit flash head I use but you might be able to get an adaptor for yours.

Not much use I know but good luck.

Would not touch them with a bargepole!

Why? because I bought some and the hotshoe mount for the flash is utter garbage and my flashes have actually fallen off them on more than one occasion.

Go and buy some decent gear, it's the old adage, buy cheap, buy twice. Have a look at Calumet and Manfrotto for some decent stuff that won't leave your flashes on the floor.

Would not touch them with a bargepole!

Why? because I bought some and the hotshoe mount for the flash is utter garbage and my flashes have actually fallen off them on more than one occasion.

Go and buy some decent gear, it's the old adage, buy cheap, buy twice. Have a look at Calumet and Manfrotto for some decent stuff that won't leave your flashes on the floor.

Another question, I just found a plastic plate thing in the Sigma 530 Super Bag What is it for?

Looks like a squashed spider and its around 2" by 4" and the flash looks like it slides onto it

its a mount, not sure what use they are aprt from being able to store them upright. guess you could use the mount if using it as a slave flash.

its a mount, not sure what use they are aprt from being able to store them upright. guess you could use the mount if using it as a slave flash.

Thanks.
I was hoping to get a stand, mount and umbrella for less than £25 but im not sure thats possible. ( with something half decent)

Hi, didn't realise that it was for a hotshoe flash.

Feb's edition of Practical Photography has a feature on using off-camera flash in different locations along with a guide on different accessories to use with prices.

Hi, didn't realise that it was for a hotshoe flash.

Feb's edition of Practical Photography has a feature on using off-camera flash in different locations along with a guide on different accessories to use with prices.

Thanks I'll check it out

3/8 or 1/4 maybe?

Back