Cancer Research Race For Life Manchester - Day One

Marcel

Kim Jong Bod
Admin
Name
Marcel
Edit My Images
Yes
Went down to Heaton Park this morning to shoot the Womens Charity Run, "Race For Life".
When we got there, there was literally a sea of women all jigging in time to the warmup music, but being a little bit late we had to run to find a good vantage point for the start of the 5km 'race' around the park.
After finding a good spot just beyond the start line, we stood around for the 30 minutes or so that it took to get all 8000 entrants through the start line.

We then ran over to the finish line and started merrily snapping away there 5 minutes later, for the next couple of hours.

So many women, so many running for different reasons, with different friends and relatives in mind.
I lost my dad to cancer in 1997, so events like this are always poignant in my mind, and every single participant deserves the medal they get at the end.

I'll start with what I consider to be my favourite shot of the day.
Because I understand what the day is all about, and I suppose I can sympathise with all the entrants who take part in the event with someone in mind, just looking at this shot, puts a lump in my throat. It's by no means magnificent, I've even cut the corner off.
But for a still image to provoke that level of emotion in me gets the (y) up from me....even if it is my own...lol

060603_4968w.jpg

From the start line. All ages had entered, as the song goes "From the very very young, to the very very old".

060603_4829w.jpg

060603_4855w.jpg

Then onto the finish line :

060603_4933w.jpg

One thing I noticed was that the majority of them finished with a big grin and a cheer, happy and proud to have taken part.

060603_4935w.jpg

060603_4974w.jpg

060603_4984w.jpg

Dress code was "Anything that tickles ya fancy" :D
060603_5002w.jpg

060603_5014w.jpg

Many people took part with friends and family.
060603_5031w.jpg

Bringing the kids along too
060603_5035w.jpg

The good thing is, there's another one tomorrow (Sunday), which I'll also be going to.
There's also probably one near you too, have a look at http://www.raceforlife.org and enter your postcode.

There were so many things to think about photographically. The speed at which I needed to get the photos, so started running out of space quickly.
Changing lenses every few minutes, from the 70-300, to the 50mm, to the kit lens, back to the 70-300....
Then needing to change focusing modes, exposure modes, even shooting modes, all the while trying to keep the shutter speed up high enough to not have camera shake, and also keep the 70-300 above f7.1 (gets very soft below this)...Lots and lots and lots to think about, and the harsh bright sunlight didn't help either, hence lots of blown out highlights as it played havoc with my ability and the cameras metering.

Anyway, here's hoping for more tomorrow.

All comments and even critique warmly welcomed, however harsh :D
:p

Regards

Marcel

Had ours 3 weekends ago, I was working at it so couldn't get any pics but major credit to the girls of all ages who ran that day, the look of achievement on their faces as they crossed the finish line was something to see. I sponsored a mates girlfriend who was running down in Birmingham, she was running for him as he had testicular cancer last year. He was lucky (or not) he only lost one of them to it.

I have no idea..lol

If I looked like number 3 I'd be smiling that's for sure. :LOL:

I lost my dad to cancer in 1997, so events like this are always poignant in my mind
Wish I'd got the energy to do something like this.

Two relatives have had cancer in the last 6 months, and my friend's mum died from leukeamia only yesterday (3rd June). She's only 18 and I don't think words can describe how upset she is. Her mum was due to come home from hospital on Monday, so it was completely out of the blue.

id have liked to have done this with my little sister but shes on holiday until this evening and then i go off on holiday on friday so no chance

my gran (one of the most important people in the world to me, my parents and my sisters) is currently undergoing treatment for breast cancer and its totally shook both her and the family up!

dispite being an unfit pie muncher i dnt have any problems running and my little sister would run the legs off everyone!

Excellent captures of a great event - and the first shot is great for the simple reason that it succeeds getting across what its about :clap:

(y)

Back