Candids - mission not accomplished!

Name
Alison
Edit My Images
Yes
Gary Fong's dog and I were invited to a friend's son's 11th birthday party last Saturday and I was asked to take a few snaps which gave a "feel" of the afternoon. The hosts want to burn them to CD for the parents of the juvenile guests but I'm wondering if that's wise - it was a totally Health and Safety-free zone! :LOL:

My plan was to take candids but I had to give up on that idea pretty quickly. I soon discovered that youngsters are consummate publicity seekers constantly on the lookout to see if the camera is pointing their way and the instant they see that it is, they're posing :wave: Here's a completely random selection:

3xresized.jpg

6nresized.jpg

3uresized.jpg

3cresized.jpg

5xresized.jpg

4kresized.jpg

3gresized.jpg

I thoroughly enjoyed both attending the party and taking the shots, it really was great fun all round. I'd love to do more of this sort of thing in light of the positive experience (and delicious free food ;)) so all C + C as to how I might achieve better results next time would be very much appreciated.

Please do note that most of them are simply (hopefully reasonable quality) parent pleasing snapshots which is all they were intended to be. All taken straight from the camera apart from RAW conversion to JPEG - first time I've shot in RAW - and resizing. I think some cropping and borders might help but I rather like them soft and unsharpened.

apart from 2 and 6 it seems like a collection of the most unflattering pictures you could take!! (I've just re-read that and dont want to seem rude, )The poor girl in no 1!! No 2 i really like and would even more if both girls were in full vision

i like no4 with the light reflecting back off the plate onto her face

My preferences are for #5 and #6. #5 because the subject is so lovely and #6 because of the capture.

I think they capture the atmosphere of a kids party very well, there parents will love dragging out the pic as they get older.

Pics of children should be at least a little embarrassing, if the family album was full of nicely posed pic of the kids, it wouldn't show the journey of their life.

apart from 2 and 6 it seems like a collection of the most unflattering pictures you could take!! (I've just re-read that and dont want to seem rude, )The poor girl in no 1!! No 2 i really like and would even more if both girls were in full vision
I don't think your remarks are rude at all - thank you for taking the time to look and comment! :)

It goes to show how subjective photography is, but both the girl in # 1 and her parents really love that shot which honestly was just chosen at random to post here. She's not a fun loving, popular or confident child in reality and of course this shows her whooping it up with friends which is what gives it personal appeal for them.

Just had a rootle through the file and here are the two girls in full vision with another pal. The couple of unposed ones I managed to catch of this pair are seriously grim :eek: The girls hate them but their folks love them - I'll bet their husbands and own children will in the years to come too! :LOL:

3bresized.jpg

i like no4 with the light reflecting back off the plate onto her face
All I noticed about that shot was the mardy looking kid (the Birthday Boy as it happens) out of focus to the left of her shoulder! :LOL: I hadn't clocked the plate reflection thing going on but will use that to my advantage in the future - thanks :)

My preferences are for #5 and #6. #5 because the subject is so lovely and #6 because of the capture.
Thanks Russell :) I got about a dozen of little Annie, the girl in # 5 and she's a real cutie in every one. Here's the shot before the synchronised trampoline boing in # 6........

4jresized.jpg

....and the one after the rebound (cropped)

9yresized.jpg

The parents have seen these 150 odd shots in sequence which places them in context so they make much better sense.

Pics of children should be at least a little embarrassing, if the family album was full of nicely posed pic of the kids, it wouldn't show the journey of their life.
I reckon you've got a point Ruth. I really did mean to capture flattering candids that portrayed all the children as budding supermodels/sports celebs and failed miserably. I did at least manage to record memories of a sunny day with carefree kids enjoying a party though, which will be nice for them all to look back on in the fullness of time. They're only a year or so away from teenage self consciousness and won't be seen in public without full makeup and designer clothes for at least another 15 years.

In 20 years time when I've forgotten the day and stumble on the pics again, the ones that will transport me right back aren't worth posting here - badly exposed/composed/unflattering snapshots. Oh, and the one where the swimming pool boiler house caught fire..........

Last edited:
Back