Cannibal Jumping Spiders

Name
Andrew Robertson
Edit My Images
Yes
A young male zebra spider (salticus scenicus) eating an even smaller female zebra spider....

3502125540_b319d65b1e_o.jpg

3501317469_ecbdb3eb96_o.jpg

3502138768_da118f335b_o.jpg

3501329905_e81c47e495_o.jpg

Couple of old shots of the adults just to show what they look like when they're all grown up...
Male:
2526962613_d3929e07a3_o.jpg

Female:
541545635_4ca044c8cb_o.jpg

Easier to photograph the big ones too....the wee ones wouldn't sit still other when it was eating :)

Phenomenal shots, 2, 3, and 4 are my favourites! Scary looking thing!

Chris

Thanks guys :) Gear used was a Canon MP-E 65mm 1-5x macro and MR-24ex twin flash on a 40D. The closest shot was 5:1 but the others weren't too far off...3.5:1 maybe.

Excellent set. They're a very pretty species - quite colourful in their own way.

Thanks guys :) Aye, they can have some nice oranges and browns on them....but I think I like the red bits best :LOL:

Thanks guys :) Gear used was a Canon MP-E 65mm 1-5x macro and MR-24ex twin flash on a 40D. The closest shot was 5:1 but the others weren't too far off...3.5:1 maybe.

That's an awesome lens. Wish Nikon did something similar.

Super set, you normally find the females eating the males in the spider world, good to see it happening the other way :LOL:

Super set, you normally find the females eating the males in the spider world, good to see it happening the other way :LOL:

Thanks Alby....and hopefully if I'm really, really lucky I'll get shots of them mating and the female eating the male one of these summers. I'll keep my eyes peeled and my flash whistling :D

Brilliant set.................isn't nature wonderful:clap:(y)

Thanks guys....hoping to find lots more of these over summer :)

Excellent behavioural sequence, d_b (y)

Its shots like these that prove that shooting in the field beats freezing bugs to get perfect shots every time.

Thanks guys...didn't have to go any further than my garden for these :)

Cheers,
Andy

It's been a while since I last saw your shots Andy and I'm pleased I've seen them again.

Back