Cannon AE-1 for school study.

Name
Darryl
Edit My Images
No
May I ask you chaps for a little advice,

I am after a Cannon AE-1 35mm camera with a 50mm F1.8 for my daughter’s school studies.

I own a Nikon D60 and a couple of lenses that she borrows for her school work. She is able to loan an AE-1 from school but only for a day or two at a time. So I thought I would get her her own AE-1 that she it familiar with.

The question is where to buy, I have looked on the Cannon classified section here but haven’t seen any for sale. I can’t post in the wanted section, I presume because of my very low post count. Also, what would you say, I’d would have to pay for one?

There are many for sale on eBay but I worry that I will receive someone’s old junk, at least from here I get the impression, rightly or wrongly, that a second hand camera would have come from a person who had a bit of a passion for photography and therefore would have looked after their equipment. …..

Thanks in advance for any input…(y)

EDIT: just read sticky at top of this section, I hope this doesn't count as a "what’s my stuff worth" kind of question. Apologies if it does.

Last edited:
Have a look at the ffordes.com website.

AE-1s on eBay go for around the £30 to £40 mark and if you buy from a dealer look to pay almost double that. Ffordes are a reputable dealer in used camera equipment and have one for £65 here.

One thing to ask a seller is whether the camera suffers from Canon cough, a squeaking sound when the shutter is released due to dried lubricant in the mirror mechanism.

If you do go for an AE-1, let me know if you want a few FD lenses to fit it, free of charge if you are happy to pay the postage. I need to check but there's a 200mm f/4 and a 300mm f/4, not in great condition, maybe a little fungus but still functioning.

Very Kind OneTen thank you will let you know,.... Wow thank you.

I've had a look and there's a 50mm f/2 and a set of Vivitar extension tubes.. I've had plenty of use out of them and would be delighted if a student could put them to use.

That does help a lot because I would only need to get hold of a body which widens my search, thank you.

I got an AE-1 off an eBay seller called Grandad-Dave and it's bloody fantastic. He services each one to rectify common problems prior to sale

Back