Canon 1000D?

Name
Fi
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi All,

I have come to the conclusion that it is going to take the rest of my life to pick my first DSLR and am on the cusp of just putting all the options into a hat and drawing a winner.

Before I resort to this I have one question - how is the Canon 1000D rated against older models such as the 350D by you fine people? Would you recommend a new 1000D over a second hand 350D?

I am trying to compare the two but really the only glaring things I can see is the 1000D doesn't have spot metering and has less focus points than the 350D - but it does have live view which i can see myself using. I'm finding all the choices in the EOS system a bit bewildering and have now read reviews till my eyes are bleeding. Please help me! :help:

hey daysleeper40,

alot of people prefer to get a 400D instead of the 1000D because its cheaper and more cash to buy lenses.

have you thought about other brands? nikon, sony, pentax, olympus all make brilliant SLR's and they pretty much do what you want them to. i have a sony a300 and i was going to get a 450D but i thought i would go with the new guys and get an a300 because the price and performance is phenomenal.

All good comments (except I don't think Canon 400D is still for sale).

I don't think there are any duff cameras about these days. Get the one that suits you best for the money. Just remember that once you buy a camera body it locks you into that system for ever - all lenses and accessories are 'dedicated' ie they fit that brand only and no others.

For this reason a lot of people plays safe and buy Canon or Nikon. I'm not sure that Sony, Pentax etc actually have less of a 'system' than they do (how many lenses can you possibly need!?) but if you're interested in buying/selling used there is certainly a much bigger market for Canon/Nikon that all of the others put together.

Thanks for the help people ;)

hey daysleeper40,

alot of people prefer to get a 400D instead of the 1000D because its cheaper and more cash to buy lenses.

have you thought about other brands? nikon, sony, pentax, olympus all make brilliant SLR's and they pretty much do what you want them to. i have a sony a300 and i was going to get a 450D but i thought i would go with the new guys and get an a300 because the price and performance is phenomenal.

Believe me I have considered them all!

All good comments (except I don't think Canon 400D is still for sale).

I don't think there are any duff cameras about these days. Get the one that suits you best for the money. Just remember that once you buy a camera body it locks you into that system for ever - all lenses and accessories are 'dedicated' ie they fit that brand only and no others.

For this reason a lot of people plays safe and buy Canon or Nikon. I'm not sure that Sony, Pentax etc actually have less of a 'system' than they do (how many lenses can you possibly need!?) but if you're interested in buying/selling used there is certainly a much bigger market for Canon/Nikon that all of the others put together.

I have hands on a D40, D60, Olympus E420, Sony A200 and Canon 1000D. This did help a little bit in that I didn't really like the feel of the Sony. Too big for my tiny hands. The Olympus was good in that respect but I have ruled them out due to the cost of lenses etc. So I have narrowed it down to Canon, Nikon, or possibly Pentax although I havn't handled any Pentax DSLR's. I had no big issues with either the Nikon or Canon.

I have read here that Canon is better for wildlife photography (which is what I'm most interested in along with macro) due to the cost of longer lenses on Nikon being higher which is why I am now veering towards Canon. I'm not against buying 2nd hand but as I said I'm finding all the different types of Canon DSLR's a tad difficult to choose between - especially as it's not so easy to try out a 350D / 400D etc when they aren't available to play with in highstreet stores.

Nikon is a bit easier - realistically it's going to be the D60, or if I can find one 2nd hand at the right price a D80.

Decisions decisions!

If it helps my budget is about £400 - £450. I was going to ask for a DSRL for my birthday in August but am now thinking I will get the camera with kit lens myself and then ask for a longer zoom lens, tripod, good bag, filters etc for my birthday.

You should consider the second hand market. There are a lot of good deals, often cameras in excellent condition with low usage.

John

Thanks for the help people ;)

Believe me I have considered them all!

I have hands on a D40, D60, Olympus E420, Sony A200 and Canon 1000D. This did help a little bit in that I didn't really like the feel of the Sony. Too big for my tiny hands. The Olympus was good in that respect but I have ruled them out due to the cost of lenses etc. So I have narrowed it down to Canon, Nikon, or possibly Pentax although I havn't handled any Pentax DSLR's. I had no big issues with either the Nikon or Canon.

I have read here that Canon is better for wildlife photography (which is what I'm most interested in along with macro) due to the cost of longer lenses on Nikon being higher which is why I am now veering towards Canon. I'm not against buying 2nd hand but as I said I'm finding all the different types of Canon DSLR's a tad difficult to choose between - especially as it's not so easy to try out a 350D / 400D etc when they aren't available to play with in highstreet stores.

Nikon is a bit easier - realistically it's going to be the D60, or if I can find one 2nd hand at the right price a D80.

Decisions decisions!

If it helps my budget is about £400 - £450. I was going to ask for a DSRL for my birthday in August but am now thinking I will get the camera with kit lens myself and then ask for a longer zoom lens, tripod, good bag, filters etc for my birthday.

I guess it is true that Canon have the better long lens range, but these are mega-expensive, very big and heavy, and quite hard to use. Not for the faint hearted.

But if you aspire to this kind of thing, then maybe you'd be best starting off with Canon or Nikon.

I guess it is true that Canon have the better long lens range, but these are mega-expensive, very big and heavy, and quite hard to use. Not for the faint hearted.

But if you aspire to this kind of thing, then maybe you'd be best starting off with Canon or Nikon.

Well that's what I'm thinking - everyone is always saying about how you are buying into a system. I just don't want to have to jump ship in a few years because I didn't think it through properly now.

350 doesn't have spot metering came in on the 450

if you've picked a system stick with it to save yourself a lot of heartache ;)

I would say second hand 350 as the 1000 looks like a toy but tbh I haven't used one so my opinion isn't too valid here

Try looking at the digital depot offers on refurbs of the 400D & 450D at what looks like a reasonable price, they had plenty in the window today.

You may want to consider Canon 40D as it as a bargain now. Nikon will give you a much better kit lens, and far better autofocus accuracy with fast glass. D200's are fairly cheap now, and D2X are down to around £600 used. Maybe wait until D400 comes out and then D200 and D300 should go down in price even further.

Back