canon 100mm f2.8macro v sigma 105mm 2.8 dg

Name
Shaun
Edit My Images
Yes
After the canon but been told the sigma is equally as good albeit by shop trying to sell me the sigma as they had no canon in stock.Anyone whos used the above lenses advice would be welcome thanks

I've currently got both lenses and wouldn't be able to tell them apart IQ'wise. My only real comment would be that the Sigma has a much noiser AF drive but that's not an issue for macro stuff.

Bob

The Canon one is good in general. But to say it's slow focusing would be a huge understatement. There's no way I could use it for portraits, it's just not quick enough to focus.

Just bought the canon from ebay shop from sheffield cost 350 bit more than i wanted to pay but been looking for last few weeks and non have been available as out of stock via usual jessops jacobs route fingers crossed ive done the right thing.

I've got the Canon, and it's brilliant! The focussing is absolutely lightning, I'm not sure what the poster before was talking about! Actually there was a non-USM version, could be that... I went for the canon because of the full-time manual focussing, and the fact that it focussed internally, whereas the sigma extends, and has a much more complex complex way of focussing.

Chris

Good choice, you won't be disappointed. The Canon is a great piece of kit, although it's true what DDP says about the slow focussing. If you only use it for macro work it's a non-issue. Enjoy.

The focussing is absolutely lightning, I'm not sure what the poster before was talking about!

Depends what you're comparing it to perhaps? If you think the 100mm macro is lightning, you'd wet yourself if you tried a 50mm 1.4! Perhaps you have, I dunno, but the 100mm macro lens is definitely in the slow league.

:agree: It may be a lot of things but lightning fast it ain't.

Bob

O.K, should have been more clear, compared to a kit lens, and a 70-300 it's lightning! No experience of L stuff, which I imagine IS lightning, but I suppose it's all relative!

Chris

Hi Thanks for comments, just got e-mail confirming its been dispatched, could be here tommorow cant wait to try it out. next question for you gurus I do not have a flash at the moment do I look out for the 580exII or the 430ex II for general photography and should I also look at buying a ring flash for the macro like the MR-14EX or go for a cheaper version Sorry for all my questions just trying to take in as much advice as i can from people who actually use this equipment.

430 ex is a good starting point, perfectly capable flashgun. 580 possibly a bit unnecessary but that depends what you use it for. Not sure what the Mk II does over the MKI but if places are still selling the MKI they're perfectly good enough, and you might get a good deal.

Well mine is certainly not slow to focus I have used it for close up portraits with no problems

It's fine for adults that aren't moving in my experience (very good in fact) but hopeless for kids that are moving and I shoot quite a lot of kids. 70-200 is perfect so I don't mind leaving the 100mm in the bag for those shots.

Anyway, OP enjoy the lens, don't let my ranting about AF speed put you off it!

It's fine for adults that aren't moving in my experience (very good in fact) but hopeless for kids that are moving and I shoot quite a lot of kids. 70-200 is perfect so I don't mind leaving the 100mm in the bag for those shots.

Anyway, OP enjoy the lens, don't let my ranting about AF speed put you off it!

I would agree with there it is good for still shots especially with adults but kids i also use a 70-200(y)

Back