Canon 135mm f2 L on FF, anyone using?

Edit My Images
No
if so what do you use it for?

currently have a 5d2 and 50mm.. now when I was FF before I had 24-105l and 70-200l f4. The safe bet in me is saying go for a 70-200l again but I am very VERY interested in the 135mm, it seems right up my street for my current moods; portrait, short distance action type stuff(skateparks etc..) and maybe a bit of wildlife but only back garden type distances and least of my priorities.

Yes
Cant imagine it being anywhere near long enough for wildlife, but I use mine for portraits and some closer sports stuff

Yes
Cant imagine it being anywhere near long enough for wildlife, but I use mine for portraits and some closer sports stuff

yeah the wildlife stuff wasn't explained very well, edge of lake birds waddling up to you, squirrel in garden 8 ft away, that sort of thing..

portraits and close action/sports is right where I am at the minute..

I think it be the better choice currently.

I played with it before and am getting temptations to buy it again. For portraits it is stunning. At f/2 there is nothing like it, and it only makes sense to use it there as you just like me have that 70-200mm.

Major drawback is no IS. At higher shutter speeds you will be absolutely fine, but drop it down to 1/100 or even 1/160 and it was a real struggle to get pin sharp results.
The upside is if you move to Sony and adapt it will become stabilised.

there she blows :)

HmOlPYL.jpg

One Canons best and one of my favourite lenses (but take that filter off ;))

Use the lens hood for protection.... it's a stunning lens at f2 any distance.. the lens does a perfect job so why stick more glass in front of it... :(

Don't mean to hijack this thread but a quick additional question... Does this lens work with canon's 1.4x TC?

I personally used the EF 100mm f2 which I much preferred to this (or the 85mm for that matter). Used it for landscapes and portraits.

Last edited:
Don't mean to hijack this thread but a quick additional question... Does this lens work with canon's 1.4x TC?

I personally used the EF 100mm f2 which I much preferred to this (or the 85mm for that matter). Used it for landscapes and portraits.

I’ll check it out when I get home. I’d have thought you’re better off to use a 70-200 2.8 though?

One of the first Canon lenses I bought and I still have it. I bought a battered copy on eBay at a bargain price and for a long time it was easily the sharpest lens I ever owned.

5DIII + EF 135 f/2.0 - focus was on the dog I think:

20180929_091248_050 by Maarten D'Haese, on Flickr

It does and it's not far behind the 200/2.8 when so paired.

The idea is to have 135mm for most use cases and use TC on the odd occasions when I need the extra reach. If someone mostly needs 200mm then it'd of course make sense to buy a 200mm prime instead.

Back