Canon 1D transfer style? PTP etc. - help

Edit My Images
No
this is really starting to confuse me now, on my old camera, i used to plug the camera in via usb, and it'd just show up as a removeable disk, but on my 1D it wont, and shows up under cameras/scanners, and i cant transfer my photos off it without using a program to do so, which i really dont want to do.

anyone know how to change this?

Not sure about the 1D (although Im sure there will be someone on here who can check for you)....but on my 30D, if I go to the "Tools" Menu, there is an option called "Communication", and there are two options "Print/PC", and "LAN(WFT-E1)"

Maybe try having a look there? Sorry I cant be of any more help :)

mine seems to have non of the options that your 30D has, which is sort of surprising as you'd of thought it'd probably have those and more.

thats odd...mine just appears if I plug it in. but I rarely do as I have a card reader.

On the D50 there is a usb option on the menu, and you can select how it works. Must be something in one of the menu on your camera

Can't answer you query Muler, but a card reader is by far the most convenient way to copy pics to your PC - and no battery or mains power source required, ;)

bah, yet more money to spend then! really would've thought as it could be set on d50's and etc, that there'd be way to on a bloody 1dmk2n!

bah, yet more money to spend then! really would've thought as it could be set on d50's and etc, that there'd be way to on a bloody 1dmk2n!

LOL. Card readers are as cheap as chips and once you've got used to using one you wont want to do anything else. :)

Plugging your camera in to transfer pics isn't the best idea, as firstly you have at least one trailing cable - two if you're using mains power, so it's messy and there's a real danger of accidentally dragging the lot off the desk.

The other thing is that constantly plugging and unplugging the USB cable at the camera end is likely to lead to weakening of solder in the socket and even damage (cracking) to the internal circuit board to which it's connected, leading to a very expensive repair bill! This is common to all cameras regardless of brand or cost. I got this from a mate in the repair trade and it's very common.

Card readers are recognized as just another drive/storage device by windows so they're dead simple to use. :)

Can't answer you query Muler,

Sorry mate I thought you had the old 1D ...not the 1DMK2n. You definitely have to use the Canon software and there's no way to change it.

ah i see! seeing as far fas i go with card readers is the ones in printers and built into laptops, are there any specs i should look out for? like transfer-rate? or do they all transfer at usb2 speeds.

Cheers CT and Joe

My local Jessops were flogging a reader and 4 port USB hub for £9.99 when I was in there on Weds.

Yeah that's not bad. Loads of places sell them cheaply now. Even Tesco and Asda (very handy for late night emergencies when you need to transfer).

I agree with CT' I've not used my camera to transfer pics for a few years now, after reading the same warning (about the wear on the camera).

My latest card reader is about a 300-in-1 reader, (There's holes in it at every angle...how they get it so small with all those connections is simply engineering genius :D)....and it cost be about a fiver from Morgan Computers.

Plus I have it blu-tacked to the top of my tower (to stop it moving about), so I simply pop the card in, it autoloads and away we go.
You can also get them to fit in the floppy slot next to (or in replacement of) your floppy drive.

There is another way....

I use a free prog called Picassa (Free from Google). As well as being an excellent utility, it provides endless albums, manipulation programmes, and you can even convert RAW captures.

As soon as you load it, it automatically searches ALL drives and ports, and will extract ANY new images, from any source. I use it with a card reader for my MkIIN, and the transfer rate is fast. It also will extract files from your MkIIN, via USB, without ANY need for other software.

Go the card reader route. I have a Sandisc multi card reader which supports any format. I bought it in ASDA for £7!!

Good luck. Give Picasa a go, you wont regret it!!

Back