Canon 1D X Mk III Owners Thread

As the last post on this thread was Sept 2020 I thought I'd resurrect it....any further thoughts from anyone?

I appreciate the weather and lockdown hasn't been ideal for photography (!!!!) but hopefully there's been some togs playing with theirs?..

Been testing, OK messing about with, the face and eye detection in Liveview trying to work out if it’s worth getting one of those loupe jobbies that clips on to the body, effectively giving you a mirrorless camera.

Anyone else given this a go? Otherwise the 1DX Mk III is everything you’d expect from Canon’s flagship model.

And then... The $64k question is of course how this compares with the R5, albeit a bit more unwieldy, but is it enough to impact the urge to go mirrorless. Given the total dearth of EF adapters, the cynically minded may begin to think Canon is trying to force their hand into a wholesale conversion into the RF world? Most of the reviews seem to say the RF lenses are a bit ‘better’ than their EF counterparts but not really enough to justify an upgrade against EF-RF adaption and, personally, if compelled to consider this approach I would be looking at the marketplace overall, not just Canon.

I don't think it is cynical to think that at all; pretty much what I was told by someone in retail. I wish there was a reverse adapter for the 7RF70-200 f2.8 which I had on a test drive a week or so ago. My L shoulder cannot tolerate the weight of the Ef70-200 2.8 ii with the 1dX2 so I weighed it and it's about three and a half kilos. With the R6 and the RF version I could shoot pretty well with it. It's almost as much to buy and R6 and that lens though so a bit stuck. I was tempted with the 1DXMk3 until I did that weighing thing yesterday tho; not any more. Can't justify it either really.

I've got the same problem with weight (it's an age thing in my case!!) but I'm really interested in whether the upgrade to the mk3 from the mk2 is worth it.....I've been very pleased with my mk 2s, well worth the upgrade from a mk1, but I suspect I'll probably wait until I see what the R1 or whatever it's called is like, but the prices seem to be taking a hike as well when the mirrorless equivalents come out.

I can say that the Mk III is a very different beast to the Mk II. Whilst outwardly virtually identical, a good thing, the III has a dramatically improved af system and, as above, behaves as a mirrorless camera in Liveview, the best of both worlds some might say. Viewfinder af tracking is a further revelation as is the virtual unlimited buffer delivered through the change to CFExpress cards, another additional cost :(.

However, the weight issue cannot be ignored. The III plus a 200-400 EF zoom is considerably heavier than an R5 plus the 100-500, although the new RF lenses use more polycarbonate ’engineering’ plastic to achieve this result, coupled with lower/variable max apertures and excellent high ISO performance to balance the latter out.

For those (heavily) invested in EF (big) glass, you pays your money and makes your choice I suppose. Or await the availability of the EF-RF adapters...... in which case the weight issue won’t really go away.

Thanks, John, interesting...it's really the af that I'm interested in, I must say the mk2 is pretty good but I might try and borrow a mk3 just to have a go once we can travl a bit.

Thanks!

George.

There are dark mutterings that Canon could/will add animal head/eye af tracking to viewfinder/Liveview to the Mk III with a firmware update which would be fantastic but then again we’ve all heard these stories before.....

I have found viewfinder af to be very good at identifying, locking on to and sticking to what ever subject I have targeted, event in cluttered backgrounds, an improvement over the Mk II, probably best to rent a Mk III and see what you think. I thought Canon themselves were doing a try-before-buy scheme as well.

Best of luck with whatever you decide, your Mk II will still be a terrific piece of kit.

Last edited:
Its not loking like we have many 1dx miii owners on the forums then... did you get one @George

I am surprised at the number of 1dx3s on sale at MPB with really low shutter speed. I sold my 1dx2 last month... wondering if I did the right thing. If you had a 1dX3 and sold it, what did you get instead?

I am surprised at the number of 1dx3s on sale at MPB with really low shutter speed. I sold my 1dx2 last month... wondering if I did the right thing. If you had a 1dX3 and sold it, what did you get instead?
Likely the R3 no?

I've got 2 mk ii's and had a look at the r3 from a colleague recently., Wow - it's a serious bit of kit. The biggest difference is the weight of the thing. The other aspects, such as eye af etc are nice, but the weight difference is very noticeable.

I'll still be lugging the ii's around for a while as value for money wise, there's little to nothing out there that can touch those.

Likely the R3 no?

I've got 2 mk ii's and had a look at the r3 from a colleague recently., Wow - it's a serious bit of kit. The biggest difference is the weight of the thing. The other aspects, such as eye af etc are nice, but the weight difference is very noticeable.

I'll still be lugging the ii's around for a while as value for money wise, there's little to nothing out there that can touch those.
I guess so. Just wondered ....

I got one.. feel like i got a bargain.. a £7k camera for half price :)

Its not loking like we have many 1dx miii owners on the forums then... did you get one @George
Sorry,Tony, I missed this post, no I'm hanging on to my mk2, does what I want and my long travel sessions abroad have obviously taken a knock, and at my age I don't think I'll resurrect that part of my life!!

Also I'm renovating a Land Rover Defender, that's consuming a bit of cash!!

Is their a big difference between the 1DXii and the 1DXiii.Is it worth the upgrade

Is their a big difference between the 1DXii and the 1DXiii.Is it worth the upgrade
How different is it from the 1dx2?

For what I photo.. Yes big difference... Probably not £7k but £3.5k I paid yes

The ISO is miles better and as I photo in dark places that alone makes it worth the money

However I have found some very annoying things about the camera :(

I can only get the full frame rate advertised when shooting at f2.8 the bigger the fstop the slower the frame rate... Even holding down the backbutton and focusing effect it.. The above happens slightly wiht the 1dx2 but more prominant with the 3... doesnt seem to happen at all wiht the 1dx.. Its very annoying:( I dont know if this is because I am using an older 400 lens and not the latest... But as mines tack sharp I aint upgrading :)

The recognise focus system is good for certain jobs such as when i shoot dogs, boxing or any single person sports.. not good for field sports as you cant predict which player its going to fucus on..

the touch scren is pretty useless for me as i am always wiping the screen haha i dont see any advantage..

theres a few other extras on the camera that i dont find usefull at all.

VIDEO I dont use but i dod try it out... its got stabalisation and i can walk around a room and take steady video hand held :)

All in all for my needs its worth it.. but its not perfect IMHO

For what I photo.. Yes big difference... Probably not £7k but £3.5k I paid yes

The ISO is miles better and as I photo in dark places that alone makes it worth the money

However I have found some very annoying things about the camera :(

I can only get the full frame rate advertised when shooting at f2.8 the bigger the fstop the slower the frame rate... Even holding down the backbutton and focusing effect it.. The above happens slightly wiht the 1dx2 but more prominant with the 3... doesnt seem to happen at all wiht the 1dx.. Its very annoying:( I dont know if this is because I am using an older 400 lens and not the latest... But as mines tack sharp I aint upgrading :)

The recognise focus system is good for certain jobs such as when i shoot dogs, boxing or any single person sports.. not good for field sports as you cant predict which player its going to fucus on..

the touch scren is pretty useless for me as i am always wiping the screen haha i dont see any advantage..

theres a few other extras on the camera that i dont find usefull at all.

VIDEO I dont use but i dod try it out... its got stabalisation and i can walk around a room and take steady video hand held :)

All in all for my needs its worth it.. but its not perfect IMHO
Thanks @KIPAX for the insight.

I think it depends on the cost to change too.

But reading your insights, I'm tempted haha

I had no idea the BBF slowed down the frame rate on my 1dx2!

using BBF doesnt slow anything down... holding focus while you shoot does.. .. the cameras doing more work isnt it?... as i say its less noticable on the mk2 but you can reproduce it... set a high fstop and shoot holding bbf then do same not holding bbf.. try i

bbf doesnt do anything bad :)

Last edited:
using BBF doesnt slow anything down... holding focus while you shoot does.. .. the cameras doing more work isnt it?... as i say its less noticable on the mk2 but you can reproduce it... set a high fstop and shoot holding bbf then do same not holding bbf.. try i

bbf doesnt do anything bad :)
I can't try it any more as I sold it last month. Come the autumn, I may regret that!

Back