CANON 24-105mm L

Glen

Uncle Glen
Name
Glen
Edit My Images
Yes
I've been thinking a for a while now about a 24-105mm L.
My thinking behind this is I wanted my next lens to be a quality ('L' hopefully) lens and not to make do with something else, also I'm not going to rush into it just cause I've got some cash.

I want it to replace my kit 18-55mm and take it on my jollies in july and also you can see I've got a slight gap between 55-70mm.

I had the notion that maybe I can get away with just the one lens in my bag. Also I feel it would make a good walkabout lens in general.

What are your thoughts about the 24-105 L, are there any alternatives?

Do you think Im doing the right thing by adding this to my collection? Or should I wait for something different?

Thanks.

Well I've been thinking about Angelina Jolie and Jennifer Aniston wrestling naked in strawberry sauce over who gets Brad...

Does that help?

Ummm, can you get that one for about £600???:thinking:

Ive been thinking about it too... the lens ,not Angelina & co.
I wanted it as part of the kit deal with the 5D a few weeks ago but I tried all over the country & everyone was out of stock, I couldnt even get them seperately, maybe that issue is resolved now.
Be interested to hear if you get it as I only have the 50mm f1.4 and not sure what to broaden my horizons with next!

Glen said:
What are your thoughts about the 24-105 L, are there any alternatives?
Its a great walkabout lens and mine stays on the camera a lot. The peacock shots posted here were at 105mm f5.0 and the RAW images are pretty damn sharp.
I wouldnt hesitate to recommend it and definately think I will be keeping it for the long term.

Thanks for that Mark, those peacock shots are ace!!

Starting to convince me.....anymore takers out there with opinions??

Is everyone still in bed?????

:help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help:

I have a pro friend (honest:cautious: ) and he rates this lens very highly......says its sharper than his 24-70L but he could have a soft 24-70L:thinking:

If I hadn't got a 24-70L myself as my walk around lens I think I would go get the 24-105L.

I think the 24-105 F4 L makes a better walk about lens due to the lower weight, longer reach and IS but the 24-70 L just oozes quality and with F2.8 it makes a superb general purpose low light lens.

If you don't feel you need F2.8 then the 24-105 is a no brainer :)

I am considering selling mine if one of you guys is serious about buying and struggling to find one. Almost brand new and only been out 4-5 times. It's great but I realise now that 24mm isn't generally wide enough for the kind of urban/buildings shooting I do and I rarely go over 50mm either.

It's a lovely lens but I think I am better with a 17-40mm L. PX would be considered if anyone has a mint/boxed L which I'd value at £400.

Mine comes boxed/complete and mint with no issues. Happy to demo in city centre Birmingham, or in the Jewellery Quarter (B1) where I live (eve. or weekends) to anyone seriously interested in buying.

Looking at £650 given lens is almost new and currently impossible to get hold of in UK. Not really interested in haggling as I actually like the lens and so also happy to keep it.

Hi Dave, glad to see you found your way over to this side of the web, I'm still enjoying the Tamron you sold me a while back, just incase you didn't recognize the sig ;)

FYI everyone, I'll vouch for Dave (condyk) as a good honest guy who I've personally purchased from and has bought and sold more camera gear than... well, a bloke that's sold on quite a bit of camera gear :D

Hi Iain

Cheers son, thanks for the reference ;-) You got a good set of kit there now and glad you're enjoying the Tamron still. I've been enjoying the classic Zeiss and Pentax stuff this last 6 months myself, so not sold anything for a while. Getting used to full manual and MF now makes the 24-105 seem almost like cheatin' or using a P&S ;-)

Looking at £650 given lens is almost new and currently impossible to get hold of in UK

I've just bought one today, granted, it was bl**dy hard to locate someone with stock. I'm told it will be in my grubby mits tomorrow and that it is from the new batch that Canon are shipping.

If you don't mind...how much did you pay?? oh and where did you get it from

Glen said:
If you don't mind...how much did you pay?? oh and where did you get it from

I'd be interested to:) If you dont mind telling.

Sorry for the delay in replying.

I contacted a lot of camera shops yesterday; most as expected had no stock. I read on another forum that Warehouseexpress have a huge waiting list that could take months to clear.

Anyway, I bought from www.mifsuds.com cost was £759 and £8 postage (next day). Was willing to pay that as I wanted to make sure i had this lens for next month - lots of events to visit.

London Camera Exchange in Southampton had a lens reserved until end of Thursday and it was to become freely available today if not bought. Was advised to phone early Friday on TEL: 02380 331720. Price was £750.

Best price though was from Kerso (kerso1123@msn.com) who is well known on Internet forums as providing an excellent service. Unfortunately for Kerso, his email reply came too late and I’d ordered from mifsuds to try and ensure delivery today. I don’t know how Kerso works with pricing so I wont mention what he quoted me, but suffice to say, its better than the two above by a good bit. Not as cheap as Warehouse express, but then he can deliver!

Oh, one company in London - Microglobe, were offering the lens at £969 - I expect they have stock too!!

Hope this helps.

interesting fact there factfans!

Back