Canon 24-70 f/2.8 Mk1 vs 24-70 f/4 IS

Edit My Images
Yes
I'm sure this has been posted before, but I couldn't find a thread using the search tool.

I'm an amateur landscape photographer but dabble in portraits/events/commercial work too. I currently have Canon 17-40L, 50/1.8 and 70-300 IS. I have dreamt of owning a Canon 24-70 f/2.8 ever since I worked in Jessops 12+ years ago and played with it at every opportunity.

I now am likely to be in the position soon to purchase a second-hand one. I cannot justify the mk2 so that's out of the question, but what has come to my attention is the new (comparatively) 24-70 f/4 IS.

I predominantly do landscapes and I also do video work, and while weight is a concern, it's definitely low down on priorities. It looks like I can save a £100-£150 going for the f/4 IS. The IS will definitely come in useful for video work, but I also am lusting after the optics and the 2.8 aperture. Image quality is my primary concern, but I'm an amateur, I basically never print, I've never sold a landscape print, I just do it because I love it.

What do you guys think? A used f/2.8 Mk1 or a used f/4 IS? Will I have buyers remorse if I don't just get the f/2.8 that I've wanted for over 12 years?

I have the f2.8 ii and chose not because I shoot a lot in low light, so am often down at the f2.8!

If I did not and only need to go down s far as f4, then I would have probably gone for the 24-105, to get a bit more from one lens.

T

Back