Canon 24-70mm F2.8 L EF

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
No
I tried one of these several years ago and was impressed by the sharpness but decided against it for various reasons. I’m now tempted to buy a used mark 1 model as I am using that range of focal lengths more than I used to, 2.8 is always useful at times and the prices are good. My main bodies are a 5Diii, a 1DX and a R7, although I doubt I would use this lens on the R7. I will probably add a R6 or 5 but not in the near future. I have already have a 24-105 f4L IS mark i.

Is the 24-70 still worth considering in 2024?

nb the title should end EFS

Last edited:
nb the title should end EFS
The lens is definitely EF not EFS

The lens was a workhorse for many pros for a decade or more, but was starting to show its age by the time the mk2 appeared.

If you’ve used it and like it, buy one. But I think the Tamron is a better buy personally.

The lens is definitely EF not EFS

The lens was a workhorse for many pros for a decade or more, but was starting to show its age by the time the mk2 appeared.

If you’ve used it and like it, buy one. But I think the Tamron is a better buy personally.
Thanks.

My typing was playing up as usual, definitely EF.

I have looked at the Tamron but it costs quite a bit more.

Thanks.

My typing was playing up as usual, definitely EF.

I have looked at the Tamron but it costs quite a bit more.
The Mk1 Tamron in excellent condition is about £100 cheaper than the mk1 Canon L in the same condition from MPB.

Although I'm going Mirrorless (tomorrow), and thinking about selling it later in this year. It's my most used lens and wouldn't part with it if I could help it.

The Mk1 Tamron in excellent condition is about £100 cheaper than the mk1 Canon L in the same condition from MPB.
Thanks again.

Just to be clear do you mean the

Tamron SP 24-70mm f/2.8 Di VC USD ?​

I have bought a Canon version which should arrive this week. If I don't like it, I can return it. The Tamrons on MPB are about the same price as I paid for the Canon (LCE price reduction ) but are listed as excellent whereas the Canon was good. Image stabilisation is also a difference.

When you say better, do you mean optically or the overall package?

Thanks again.

Just to be clear do you mean the

Tamron SP 24-70mm f/2.8 Di VC USD ?​

I have bought a Canon version which should arrive this week. If I don't like it, I can return it. The Tamrons on MPB are about the same price as I paid for the Canon (LCE price reduction ) but are listed as excellent whereas the Canon was good. Image stabilisation is also a difference.

When you say better, do you mean optically or the overall package?
Optically better as you’d expect for a 20 years newer design. Also the stabilisation

Right... you may not like this but that's the pecking order:

EF 24-70mm mk1. AVOID particularly for what they are still sold at

mk2. OK for event and portrait work. Edge resolution falls right off the cliff. Not suitable for landscape and high res work

Tamron. I've never used one but in general this is supposed to be somewhat behind Canon mk2. and Same for Sigma.

If you go for Tamron make sure this is the G2 and for a good price. You don't want compatibility issues and non-updatable firmware of mk1. I would not pay more than you can easily get back.

RF - I don't see anything in it over EF II

RF 24-105 2.8 - if you are spending big you may as well get this or 28-70 f/2. They are still not perfect. Sony GM2 has a better chance to be a better allrounder actually.

Thanks for the detailed reply. Having read some of your other posts over the past few years and reviewed your website, I expect/ hope my expectations are different than yours. The lens should be arriving in the next couple of days, I can always return it if I don’t like it.

Back