Canon 300L v Sigma 120-300 2.8

Name
Dave
Edit My Images
No
Hi

I'm in a bit of a dilemma :thinking:

I've got the Canon EF300 f4 IS USM and I've only used it 3 times since I've bought it (last August) and it's in absolutely mint condition.

It's a fantastic lens but there's no doubt about it, I miss the zoom factor. I was covering a local footie game today and the 300 was too much at times and my 70-200 was not enough at times :bang:

Now I'm thinking of selling the 300 and buying the Sigma 120-300 f2.8

It seems a bit of a 'downgrade' in a way, getting rid of a L lens, but then again, if I'm not using it, there's not much point having it.

Anybody else been through this situation?

Any advice much appreciated

Dave

Hi Dave, I had similar a while ago, with polo not football but couldn't get rid of L glass so now use a 2nd body with 70-200 & keep 400 f2.8 on tripod.

I see no problem with going from 'L' to something else - I sold my canon 24-105 L as it was too slow being f4, and not wide enough and bought a Canon 17-55 f2.8, which was perfect for my needs.

Personally i'd never go to Sigma anymore, purely because of the big variation in copies, and the build quality issues...

The performance of the glass will be fine but the weight maybe an issue for you. It's more than twice the weight of the 300 f/4 L IS. If you are hand holding it a lot for a footie game that could become a problem after awhile.

Another option is the Sigma 70-200 F2.8 +1.4 TC, it's a route I went down when I found carting around a 100-400 L was a bit of a burden, so you would get nigh on 300mm at the long end, and it's light enough to carry around hand/hold.

Another option is the Sigma 70-200 F2.8 +1.4 TC, it's a route I went down when I found carting around a 100-400 L was a bit of a burden, so you would get nigh on 300mm at the long end, and it's light enough to carry around hand/hold.

He says he has a 70-200... so that's a good point. Get a 1.4x TC :)

Back