Canon 300mm 2.8 non IS

Name
Allan
Edit My Images
Yes
Have any of the sports guys who use Canon heard that it in near impossable to get the older Canon non is 300mm repaired.Have been told that it is because of lack of spares.
I was thinking of getting one but have been put off

Unless youre picking up a mint copy from a dealer with a warranty i would avoid the non IS version as its no longer supported by Canon for repairs, they stopped supporting the non IS version about 18 month ago and spares are very hard to come by.

Spares are still available for this model and have been assured by Canon they will be for quite a few years due to the number currently in use. I was told this when I had my non IS lens calibrated by them last year.

BTW if you are interested in one I have mine for sale on this site HERE (y)

Only reason for selling is I want an IS version.

I recently brought one, but before I did I phoned around and found that I would be able to get it serviced, and some repairs but Canon themselves will no longer do those repairs. I decided that for the price I was paying I was happy to take this small risk given the amount of money that can be saved. I did decide however that I would pair it with a camera that allows micro adjust of the focus to get the most out of the wide aperture.
I brought the lens with a 2x converter so I now have a 600mm f5.6 for less then £1200 total cost.

I had no problems buying an old 300 2.8 non IS. I found a few places that would repair it if required (which it never was - fairly bomb-proof) and the place I bought it from gave me a 6 month warranty (Aperture Photographic in London).

I sold it for the same amount I bought it for a year later and it was perfect and I took a lot of super pics with it.

I had no problems buying an old 300 2.8 non IS. I found a few places that would repair it if required (which it never was - fairly bomb-proof) and the place I bought it from gave me a 6 month warranty (Aperture Photographic in London).

I was in there earlier today buying some stuff.

They've got a cracking 300mmIS in stock at the moment that they were offering someone a blinding deal on. The guy wanted to think about it for a while, so the lens is still up for grabs if anyone is looking!

I was in there earlier today buying some stuff.

They've got a cracking 300mmIS in stock at the moment that they were offering someone a blinding deal on. The guy wanted to think about it for a while, so the lens is still up for grabs if anyone is looking!
I bought my brand new Nikon 300mm f/2.8 in the rare Tropical Grey colour from them last year for the bargain price of £2,500, great little shop and free coffer and a cake as well.

Flippin eck Gary that is well cheap.

The EF 300/2.8 is £2650 second hand.

Sorry - thought that you were referring to Aperture's list price of £2690 for the 300mm IS that they have in stock. They were prepared to knock quite a bit off that yesterday for someone who made a telephone enquiry!

Flippin eck Gary that is well cheap.

The EF 300/2.8 is £2650 second hand.

It was totally brand new in sealed box, apparently Nikon dont allow its authorised dealers to sell anything as "new" if its 2 years past its date of production so it was sold as "used" as Aperture had it for 2 years 2 month just lying there, i asked why it hadn't sold before i got there and they said they had only just found it after doing a stock check at the back of the downstairs stockroom.

Happy days for me

You must be a good boy scout.

DemiLion said:
Sorry - thought that you were referring to Aperture's list price of £2690 for the 300mm IS that they have in stock. They were prepared to knock quite a bit off that yesterday for someone who made a telephone enquiry!

How low were they willing to go?

the nikon im talking about was up for sale for £2800 and i goit it for £2500 so that should give you some idea

IIRC it was even more generous than that.

The only reason the I'm being slightly coy is that I was engaged in my own deal at the time and can't be 100% accurate as to the figures quoted apart from their own PEx costs which would be a bit unfair to quote.

If you are in the market for one it's definitely worth following up on.

Back