Canon 300mm f2.8 is

Name
Dean
Edit My Images
No
Does anyone know if the older version 300mm 2.8 is will work better with the 1.4x and 2x mk ii or the mk iii extenders . Thanks

The mkIII have contacts that lens wont see or use so I doubt they would be any better.
Rob.

I have the Canon 300 F2.8 L IS Mk1 (simply an excellent lens). In the case of the 1.4 extender - it makes little difference whether you use the Mk2 or Mk3, I found little if any difference on this lens though the Mk3 is better with newer lenses. With the 2 x extender I found the Mk3 to be markedly better on any lens that I can fit it to and one that it is not supposed to work with. Frankly my Canon 2 x Mk2 was a waste of money (luckily I got a good price for it) as I was better off using the 1.4 and cropping. With the 2 x Mk3 the IQ is much better (especially on the 300 F2.8 L IS). Canon do not claim any AF advantages on Mk1 Superteles but I can state from experience that the 2 x Mk3 does AF better on the 600 F4 L IS (1) and 300 F2.8 L IS (1), not a lot but definitely better.

With the 1.4, just get whichever you can find cheapest. With the 2 x get the Mk3 or don't bother - just my thoughts.

Back